This is good stuff!
My recent taste went exploring a bit with this Banana and Chocolate Toasted Sandwich. At first I wasn’t sure, but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted it. So here it is.
To start off I went a bit retro here. I knew that I could make any kind of toasted sandwich on my indoor grill, I also knew the old fashioned way of actually doing it on top of the stove. What I was really wanting though was a good old sandwich maker, you know the kind that seals the sides and makes a perforated seam down the center to easily cut into cutesy triangles. The reason? I knew that this was going to be so yummy and gooey from the melted chocolate that I didn’t want to miss out on any of by it running over in the pan or the grill.
So if like me, you are hesitant about anything with ricotta then rest assured that it’s not going to be grainy or cheesy.
In fact, the ingredients makes for a perfect combo.
The ricotta cheese is whipped with some honey to take off the edge and is a lovely base on which your banana and chocolate can get all cozy.
The simplicity of a toasted sandwich is what attracts me, yet being able to vary them with just about any filling makes them the perfect adaptable comfort food. They’re quick for after school snacks, a quick lunch or a change from your breakfast cereal in the mornings.
I think that this combination of bananas, chocolate and ricotta cheese are ideal for a sweet start to your day, mid-morning perk or after school snack…anytime.
So go on, it’s actually kind of healthy when you think about. That is, as long as you don’t use any butter on the bread (I didn’t), use a good quality dark chocolate (I used 70% dark cocoa) and the part-skimmed ricotta cheese.
Now all you have to do, is dig way back in your cabinets, pull out that sandwich maker and dust it off and give it new meaning.
- 2 slices of White Bread
- ¼ cup part-skimmed Ricotta Cheese
- 1-2 tsp. honey
- ⅛ cup Dark Chocolate (70%) bar or chips.
- 1 small Banana, sliced
- Heat your sandwich maker until hot.
- In a small bowl, whip your ricotta cheese with the honey.
- Now place your first piece of bread in the sandwich maker, followed by your ricotta mixture, try to not go to the edge. Next add your sliced bananas and top it off with the chocolate bar (broken into chunks) or chips. Finish by topping with remaining bread, close and clamp and wait for about 3 mins and check add more time if needed so that the bread is toasted nice and golden.
- Carefully place on your plate, cut and serve. Gorgeous with a cup of coffee or glass of cold milk.