I love to use it for the Date Muffin recipe, it’s just the right blend of gooey mess and gorgeous rich caramel.
The concentrated flavor of the evaporated milk is what makes this a winner. It takes a devoted 45 minutes to an hour to make but well worth every minute.
I’m a fairly picky person when it comes to certain caramels, the deepness of the flavor, the thickness or thinness of the drizzle and the amber coloring. So when I was making it, I found myself stretching my neck over the saucepan and peeking in to see, to my delight, this silky, perfectly thick, gooey, drizzly caramel. Ahh yes, it was ready.
I’m thinking about the many ways myself that I can use this recipe…and oh the possibilities! One that I’m going to enjoy shortly, as a wee bit of “COME ON” to autumn, is as a dip for my apples!
Caramel Dip + Apples = Happiness
Enjoy it anyway you like!
A lovely rich and perfect Caramel Sauce, perfect to drizzle over your favorite muffins or as a dip for apples.
- 1 can (12 oz) Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 cups Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- In a deep saucepan or pot, heat over low heat the Light Brown Sugar and Water.
- Stirring constantly until sugar has dissolved.
- Slowly add the Evaporated Milk and also the Baking Soda.
- Cook uncovered over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is very thick and golden brown, about 45 min - 1 hour.
- Take off heat and let cool for about 5 minutes and pour into jar or serving dish.
- Serve with your favorite desserts.
- Can be kept in the refrigerator in a sealed jar for up to 2 weeks.
- Makes about 12 oz.
- **Note: Caramel gets very hot, please handle with care!