Thank you Les Trois Petits Cochons for sponsoring this post. I was selected for this opportunity and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Summer is that time of year that calls us to the outdoors to enjoy in so many activities from the classic picnics to charming dinner parties and so much more.
One thing I have to ask, who wants to slave over a hot stove for hours creating recipes?!? No one? Neither do I! Don’t get me wrong, I love cooking, but seriously it’s summer and I think I need to enjoy being outdoors as much as remotely possible. For this reason, I love serving charcuterie boards.
Creating a charcuterie board is so straight forward, quick and seriously tasty.
As a bit of funky fusion addition to my summer charcuterie board, I made this insanely tasty Smoked Duck Sushi with a Blackberry Dipping Sauce that was inspired by my love for sushi and my favorite crispy Peking duck with pancakes that I used to enjoy when I lived in Ireland and England. I used Les Trois Petits Cochons smoked duck breast and sliced jambon sec, a sliced French-style dry cured ham then added in julienned sliced cucumbers and spring onions, rolled them up in the sushi rice and then served the duck sushi with a simple to make blackberry dipping sauce.
In addition to the Smoked Duck Sushi, I also served an easy charcuterie board filled with berries, chorizo, cheeses, olives and other tasty goodies that are all perfect for a summer picnic, date night or an easy dinner party.
To find some of the best charcuterie selections, you have to try Les Trois Petits Cochons! They have an incredible selection of everything you need to create your own charcuterie board and more, from authentic and quality pâté and sausages to dry goods such as mustards and mini crackers. All of which come from quality ingredients and time-honored recipes that all will inspire you in crafting one brilliant and delicious summer. For more recipe inspiration, follow Les Trois Petits Cochons on Facebook and Instagram.
Smoked Duck Sushi with Blackberry Dipping Sauce
Yield 6 Slices
Try this delicious Smoked Duck Sushi, perfect as a summer appetizer or enjoyed anytime of year!
Blackberry Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup Hoisin Sauce
- 12 oz fresh Blackberries
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 cup uncooked Sushi Rice, a glutinous white rice
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Duck Sushi:
- 2 cups cooked Sushi Rice
- 3 oz Sliced Jambon Sec, French styled dry cured ham
- Smoked Duck Breast, julienned
- Cucumber, peeled and julienned
- Spring Onion, julienned
Special Equipment Needed:
- Plastic Wrap
- Bamboo Sushi Rolling Mat or folded kitchen towel (about 9 x 9 inches)
Blackberry Dipping Sauce:
- Prepare the Blackberry Sauce first to allow enough time for it to cool. Can be made the day before and kept stored covered in the refrigerator.
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, add the Hoisin Sauce, Blackberries and Soy Sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and allow to cook 12 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, mashing the berries, until it reduces by at least a third.
- Strain through a sieve, allow to cool. Set aside and chill until ready to serve.
- Prepare the Sushi Rice according to directions. (I use 1 cup of Sushi Rice to 1 1/4 cups of water, bring to a boil uncovered, then cover and reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes covered).
- In a small bowl, mix together the Rice Vinegar, Oil, Sugar and Salt. Set aside.
- Once cooked, fluff with a fork, then add in the Rice Vinegar mixture and mix in well. Set aside until ready to assemble the Sushi Rolls.
To Assemble the Smoked Duck Sushi:
- Prepare all of your ingredients by slicing the Smoked Duck, Cucumbers and Spring Onions into matchstick sizes (julienned).
- Have a bowl of water on the side, to dip your hands in while working with the Sushi Rice.
- Lay out the bamboo sushi rolling mat or folded kitchen towel (about 9 x 9 inches), cover with plastic wrap that is about the same size as the mat.
- Add a thin layer of Sushi Rice over the plastic wrap pressing evenly with slightly wet hands, creating a square about the same size as the mat.
- Layer the sliced Jambon Sec (French style dry cured ham) over the rice, overlapping if needed.
- Arrange the julienned strips of Smoked Duck, Cucumber and Spring Onions in a line down the edge closest to you.
- Start to roll the Rice and Jambon Sec, using the mat to help lift and tightly roll into a cylinder. Make sure the fillings stay in place by using your fingers to tuck them in while rolling if needed.
- Use the plastic covered mat (or towel) to continue to roll, keeping gentle pressure on the mat.
- Once rolled, use a sharp knife to slice in half and then cut each half into 3 slices. If needed, clean knife between slicing.
Serve with the Blackberry Dipping Sauce.