Absolutely one of my families favorite flavored ice cream, homemade fresh peach ice cream!
As a full on Georgia girl, there are a few things that are required by default to appreciate, love, enjoy and partake in:
- A serious love for Peaches! And learn to love the nicknames, Georgia Peach for girls and Georgia Firecracker for the boys.
- Appreciate the Pecan Groves on road trips, and buy a Claxton Fruit Cake while on said road trip, but never actually eat it.
- Don’t forget to buy some boiled peanuts at some point on above mentioned road trip or make them at home.
- Sweet Potatoes! Love them and know that the secret in their flavor is the Georgia red clay.
- The above mentioned Georgia red clay stains like mad, and refuses to come out, so making mud pies were great fun for me, but my mother’s thorn in her side.
- APPLE season in north Georgia! Love it!
- And finally, learn how to talk southern, and you’ll be finer than a frog’s hair split four ways.
Peaches have such a gorgeous flavor,and taste amazing on their own, in pies and sweets, and they absolutely shine in this Georgia Peach Ice Cream!
Making homemade ice cream is satisfyingly easy to make and great fun to keep stocked in the freezer to pull out when family and friends come around. If truly prepared, you can make a few batches when the friends arrive, having them chop up the fruit or man the ice cream freezer. I remember having peach ice cream and vanilla ice cream every summer, usually during a Fourth of July get together. At that time, we only had the hand crank wooden bucket ice cream makers, and everyone would chip in to turn that crank. I remember my mom, eventually buying an electric ice cream maker that we didn’t have to worry about keeping it going, we were so relieved! Yah…!
Investing your own ice cream maker doesn’t have to be daunting, there are a variety to choose from for every budget, as well as the most straight forward technique, no churn! Most of the time, I use a freezer bowl attachment for my Kitchenaid, and have enjoyed it. My other go to favorite, is the Cuisinart electric ice cream freezer, works wonderful, but my all time favorite type of ice cream maker is a compressor ice cream freezer. Breville makes the Smart Scoop, which I’ve had opportunity to use, and it seriously is life changing … but then again, it’s pricey, so this is the one to invest in if you are a die-hard homemade ice cream fan. I love it!
There are so many ways to make your own, from no-churn ice cream to using a freezer bowl in the machine or as an accessory to stand mixers. One thing is for certain, making your own homemade ice cream will probably bring out the kid in you, and enjoying it won’t be difficult at all.
Homemade Fresh Peach Ice Cream
Yield 1 quart
Enjoy your own homemade fresh peach ice cream!
- 2 cups fresh peaches, chopped
- 1 1/4 sugar, divided
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- In a large bowl, combine the peaches along with 1/2 cup of the sugar and the lemon juice, mixing well. Cover bowl and place in the refrigerator for about 2 hours, giving it a stir every 30 minutes or so.
- Drain the peaches and reserve the juices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy, about 2 minutes. Add in the remaining sugar, a 1/4 cup at a time, and mix until well combined.
- Add the cream and milk into egg mixture, and mix well. Add the reserved peach juice and mix till well combined.
- Transfer mixture to an ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- A few minutes before the ice cream is hardened, add in the chopped peaches and continue to freeze until ready.
- Transfer the peach ice cream to a freezer safe container and freeze for a few more hours to fully harden.
Ice cream can be kept in the freezer for 1 - 2 weeks for best flavor.
Recipe from Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book.