Dreamy. Gorgeous. Brilliant. Words I use to describe this cookie!
Oatmeal Apple Cookies!
They are moist and soft, like little pillows of yum! When I shared them with my friends, they wanted to know when the next batch would be ready… before they finished eating their first one.
I loved them too and I would even sneak them for breakfast, after all they are filled with Oatmeal and Apples. AND since I have a special place in my heart for cozy Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal on a cold morning, these little fellas were a must try.
I think that I’m going to throw in some pecans for the next batch or some walnuts. Feel free to improvise to your liking and most importantly enjoy.
Oh and my only tip or trick that I would make is to put a piece of plain sandwich bread into the container or cookie jar along with the cookies … because of the moisture from the chunks of apples, the cookies become softer. If you put the piece of bread in the cookie jar, the bread will help “dehumidify” the cookie jar and cookies will be soft but not the “softer” version of themselves.
Now bake a batch and enjoy with that cup of coffee, tea or really large glass of milk!
Warning: Eat before baking or wear a clothespin on your nose because you may succumb to that gorgeous aroma and it will bring you to your knees with anticipation for that warm, fresh from the oven temptation known as a cookie! Licking the bowl is not a meal.
- ⅔ cup Crisco original (all-vegetable shortening)
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1¾ cups Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Distilled White Vinegar
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1½ cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 3 cups Old Fashioned Oats
- 3 small Apples, peeled, cored and chopped into ½ inch chunks (I used a mix of Braeburns and Galas)
- ½ cup Butterscotch chips (can substitute chocolate if you prefer)
- ½ cup Pecans, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F and prepare baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- Combine in a large bowl, the Shortening, softened Butter and Sugar. Cream together with mixer until you have a fluffy.
- Add in Egg and mix well. Now add in Vinegar and baking soda and combing well.
- Slowly add the Flour and Salt. Mix well.
- Mix in the Oats until well combined.
- Now add the Apple chunks and Butterscotch chips and Pecans (optional) - Fold in with rubber spatula or spoon, but do not use the mixer for this step.
- For each cookie you can use an ice cream scoop or mound together 3 Tablespoons (enough to make a 2 -3 inch mound) of cookie dough for each cookie. Place on Parchment lined baking pan about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the middle of 375F oven for about 15 - 18 min or until center is just starting to set and tops are golden brown.
- Continue to bake in batches until all the dough is used.
- Cool for 5 minute on baking pan and then carefully transfer to cooling rack and cool completely.