This BBQ Pulled Pork Taco Recipe post was sponsored by Budweiser. All opinions are all my own.
Pork Carnitas are one of my favorites! But I also love my BBQ pork, and sometimes it’s not easy to decide which one to make.
So here’s my solution, a BBQ Pulled Pork Taco recipe!
It’s really the best of both worlds, all wrapped up in a warm tortillas plus that zing from the BBQ sauce. I prefer to make these slow cooker pork tacos overnight, as in set my slow cooker for 8 hours on low and wake up to a gorgeous ready to pull pork roast. The downside? There really isn’t one, but I do wake up starving because I’ve been dreaming about it all night long thanks to the gorgeous aroma.
I’m fairly picky about my BBQ sauce, so finding the right used to be daunting, but no longer. I’ve found a brilliant selection of flavors from the King of Beers, yup Budweiser has great line of their own BBQ sauces, Budweiser Brewmaster’s Premium Sauce and Marinades. For this recipe, I used the Sweet and Smoky flavor, but they have a tasty lineup that you can enjoy. To find a store near you, check HERE to see who sells it in your area.
This taco recipe is not just for summer, but it’s ideal any time of year! So whether you call them pork carnitas or pork tacos, this pulled pork taco recipe is ideal for any get together, big or small, from game day and tailgating to birthday parties or a themed dinner party. It’s one of those meals that you can make ahead as well, which makes for a huge time saver, and allows you to enjoy more time with friends and family.
- For the Pulled Pork:
- 1 cup low sodium Chicken Stock
- 2 - 3 large Yellow Onions, quartered
- 2 - 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Spice Rub, enough to coat meat generously
- 5 - 6 lbs boneless Pork Butt (Pork Shoulder)
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce, such as Budweiser Brewmaster’s Premium Barbecue Sauces Sweet & Smoky BBQ Sauce, plus extra to serve at table
- For the Broccoli Slaw:
- 12 oz package Broccoli Slaw
- 2 Spring Onions, sliced on the bias
- 1/3 cup dried Cranberries
- 1/3 cup sliced toasted Almonds
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Poppy Seeds
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- For the Apple Salsa:
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, diced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh Cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon or Lime
- Pinch of Salt
- Additional Ingredients:
- Tortillas, warmed
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- Lime wedges
- Hot Sauce, if desired
For the Pulled Pork:
- Set the slow cooker to low heat.
- Add in the quartered onions across the bottom of pan to create a "rack", and scatter the garlic over the onions and pour in the chicken stock.
- Generously rub the meat with the spice rub all over, and place on top of the onions in the slow cooker. Cover and allow to slow cook on low heat for 6 - 8 hours.
- Once cooked and tender, using two forks, carefully shred the meat, discarding the juices.
- Mix in 1 cup Sweet & Smoky Budweiser Brewmaster’s Premium Barbecue Sauce until well combined. Set aside.
For the Slaw:
- In a large bowl, add the broccoli slaw, spring onions, cranberries and almonds, mixing well.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, olive oil, poppy seeds, sugar, salt and pepper, and whisk together with a fork. Pour half of dressing over broccoli slaw, and mix until combined well. Keep chilled until ready to serve.
For the Apple Salsa:
- Mix together the apple, cilantro, lemon or lime juice, and salt.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed, keep chilled until ready to serve.
- Warm the tortillas, either in the microwave for just a few seconds or in a dry skillet. Keep warm by stacking and wrapping in foil.
- Add a nice bit of BBQ pulled pork, drizzle more BBQ sauce over meat if desired, top off with the broccoli slaw, and apple salsa! For extra heat, don't forget to add your favorite hot sauce.
Want to try making the pulled pork on a charcoal grill? Use this method from The Spruce Eats.