Mascarpone Stuffed Dates and a glass of wine from Garnacha and Roussillon really do make the best of friends!
When friends or family land on your doorstep and you’re short on time, seriously keep a nice stash of a couple ingredients handy, and a few bottles of wine ready to go and you’ll look like a pro host that has it all together.
Mascarpone Stuffed Dates
Yield 15 - 18 dates
An easy to make appetizer that is perfect paired with red or white wines, Mascarpone Stuffed Dates!
- 15 - 18 Pitted Medjool Dates
- 4 oz Mascarpone Cheese
- 1 tsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp toasted Pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 slice Prosciutto, finely diced
- 1 tsp fresh Thyme leaves
- Zest of 1/2 Orange
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice each pitted Date lengthwise without cutting all the way through, making a pocket.
- In a bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients until well combined.
- Stuff each Date with about 1/2 tsp of the filling.
- Place the stuffed Dates on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 2 - 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
You can skip the baking and enjoy them right after stuffing them. Keeping refrigerated until ready to serve.
This appetizer recipe is so versatile that it goes well with red or white wines, such as the European quality wine I received made with incredible grapes from 50 – 80+ yr old vines. Because of the terrain and climate, these amazing grapes are able to produce some of the best and affordable wines ($10 – $20) from Spain and France.
When I lived in Europe, I was spoiled to the variety of wines, their quality and how affordable they were. Now that I live back home in the states (the deep south), enjoying these wines remind me of all of my favorite things that I loved about Europe, and are truly exceptional.
I usually lean towards white wines, with the occasional bottle of red to keep me in check.
So when I’m creating a recipe to pair with a nice wine, I try to go with something that is easily enjoyed with both red and white wines…and trust me, these little bites of dates that have been filled with a salty sweet flavored mascarpone cheese and then warmed, beautifully compliment any of the Wines of Garnacha and Grenache.
Think of these wines as the best of the best, from being made from one of the most environmentally-friendly grape varieties to being high quality wines at a very reasonable price. Trust me, your friends and family will think you’re a brilliant host and just might be on your doorstep more often than not now that you’re privy to knowing the best wines to fill their glasses with.