These are something to write home about! Chili Spiced Sweet Potato Fries with an addictive Garlic Lime dipping sauce … start writing.
Growing up in the south means that you are privy to some of the best foods on earth, I’m talkin’ sweet potatoes. Down here, we’ve managed to encapsulate their full potential by putting them in … just about anything that could go on the table from sweet to savory.
Back Story (bear with me):
When I was about 7 or 8 years of age, our class went on field trip to a farm. It was a hot day and we were there ready to learn all about sweet potatoes. You might be thinking, “oh geesh, how exciting”, but mind you we were thinking the same exact thing. You see, the frame of mind for that wonderful day was for us to learn where sweet potatoes come from. I knew they were growing under the dirt, we all did, but apparently seeing is believing. Not only did we see, hey those are buried in the ground, but also got to “help” dig them out of the ground. Yes of course, it was a good experience and the bonus was that we got to play in the red Georgia clay on that hot day. Thankfully, none of us were emotionally or physically damaged and we all learned to appreciate that humble sweet potato.
For this recipe, I’ve paired the Chili Spiced Sweet Potato Fries with a mouth-watering Garlic Lime Dip. You’re welcome! The chili can be as subtle or in your face as you like. I prefer the mid-range, as too much ground chili seems to have a powdery aftertaste for me, but again it’s all up to your preference.
The Garlic Lime Dip is decidedly addictive, not only is it perfect with these sweet potato fries, you can also use it as a dip for a fresh veggie platter or a crazy yum sauce on pizza and topped with grilled chicken. My favorite is to use it straight up on a these fries and the occasional, “opps my finger accidentally dipped itself in there”.
Think taste bud tango! 😉
Chili Spiced Sweet Potato Fries with Garlic Lime Sauce
Yield 4 - 6
The best baked Chili Spiced Sweet Potato Fries with an addictive Garlic Lime Dip!
For the Sweet Potato Fries:
- 2 - 3 Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch sticks
- 1 tsp Corn Starch (optional)
- 2 Tbls Olive Oil
- 1/2 - 1 tsp ground Chili Powder, I prefer Ancho Chili powder
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
For the Garlic Lime Dip:
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 - 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Zest and Juice of 1 Lime
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Tbls Cilantro, chopped
To Make the Sweet Potato Fries:
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl or gallon sized plastic bag, toss the peeled and cut Sweet Potato sticks with the Corn Starch until lightly coated.
- Drizzle the oil over the Sweet Potatoes, adding the Chili Powder, Salt and Pepper then toss together until well coated.
- Spread Sweet Potato sticks on the baking sheet in a single layer and bake in preheated 425°F oven for about 30 minutes or until starting to get crispy, making sure to turn fries over halfway through baking time.
- Serve with Garlic Lime Dip.
To Make the Garlic Lime Dip:
- In a bowl, mix together the Mayonnaise, Sour Cream, minced Garlic, the Lime zest and juice, Salt and chopped Cilantro.
- Garnish with Cilantro if desired. Keep refrigerated, covered, until ready to use.
It's best to make in batches or on 2 baking sheets. When baking more than one baking sheet at a time, you need to rotate baking sheets on to the top shelf half way through baking so that both baking sheets have equal time to crisp up.