Baked Hummus with buttery toasted pine nuts, now please!
Hummus is pretty darn good stuff, but dagnabit, bake this stuff and it’s a whole new level of darn good stuff!
Making up a batch of hummus takes very little time, and I love that you can change up the flavors from roasted red pepper hummus to wasabi ginger hummus. For this recipe, I’ve adapted it from a basic garlic flavored hummus, my favorite all time flavor, then before baking, top it off with a nice dose of buttery, toasted pine nuts. Enjoying it hot enhances the flavors a beautiful way and is a must for your next party.
When the weather is cold, there is nothing quite like feasting on warm, comfort food with plenty of crusty bread on the side. This surely meets that comfy food requirement, and makes for a great appetizer for your next get together.
Baked Hummus with Toasted Pine nuts
Yield 4 - 6
Enjoy this Baked Hummus with buttery toasted pine nuts! Makes for a great appetizer or snack at any party or get together.
- 2 (15.5) cans Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Tahini paste
- 2 - 3 Garlic cloves, skin removed, can leave leave whole or minced
- Lemon juice from 3 - 4 lemons
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
For the Pine Nuts:
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts
- 2 Tbsp unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp crushed Chili flakes or Sumac
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a blender, add the drained Chickpeas and all ingredients through Lemon juice, blend until you have a smooth puree. Taste and adjust seasoning with Salt & Pepper and add a bit more Lemon juice if needed.
- In a dry saute pan, toast the Pine Nuts until just starting to brown. Be careful not to burn. Once there's a bit of color on them, add in the Butter and allow to melt, swirling around to coat pine nuts. Add in the crushed Chili flakes, saute for 1 - 2 minutes.
- In a 4 - 6 cup oven safe dish, pour in the Hummus, top with the buttery Pine Nuts, then bake for about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Hummus will rise a bit, so make sure not to overfill dish. Once baked, remove from oven and serve immediately with crusty bread, crackers or pita bread.