The chilly nights are finally here, and that means it’s the perfect time to enjoy a nice cozy cup of Mulled Pear Cider!
I love this recipe, it has all of the necessary requirements to keep me happy on a cold night. Perfectly flavored, with just enough sweetness added, mulled pears, and if I need a little adulting time, I’ll add in a bit of rum!
You can make this ahead of time easily enough, keep it warm in a dutch oven or slow cooker. If you find yourself with leftovers, keep the Mulled Pear Cider refrigerated and then warm it up when you need to warm the soul. It’s perfect to serve to guest, make it “hard” by adding the rum if desired or keep it alcohol free, either way, it’s good stuff.
I usually keep all of the spices in the “brew” while I’m serving it, but will take out the squeezed lemon after about 30 minutes to prevent it from becoming too bitter. If you have several guests, and find yourself running low on the Mulled Pear Cider, simply add more of the apple juice as needed and maybe throw in a few extra cinnamon sticks, continuing to keep it warm and keeping everyone happy.
- 1 liter Apple Cider, preferably a "cloudy" apple cider
- 2 - 3 Pears, I used Anjou Pears, thinly sliced - about 1/8" thick
- 1 Lemon, zest and juice
- 6 Cardamom pods
- 1 - 1 inch piece Ginger root, peeled
- 1 Tbsp Sugar, or to taste
- Cinnamon Sticks, to garnish
- Sliced Lemons, to garnish
- 1 cup Rum, optional
- In a large pot, add the Apple Juice, sliced Pears, 2 Cinnamon sticks, Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon and the squeezed Lemon, Cardamom pods, peeled Ginger root (left whole), and Sugar.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes. You can leave the spices if you'd like or remove them before serving. I like to leave them in until the end and top up with more pears and apple juice if needed.
- To serve, add a slice of pear, a cinnamon stick, sliced lemon, and rum if desired - 2 parts Mulled Pear Cider to 1 part Rum.