It’s full on freeze-your-tushy-buns-off kind of weather, and that means that it’s time to use this easy to make Mulling Spices to warm up a nice bottle of red wine or apple cider!
A batch of mulling spices will make about 6 sachets, of which you can use 1 – 2 per “session” of making your mulled wine or cider. I like to use 2 for larger portions of mulled wine or just 1 sachet for a single bottle, making it in a Dutch oven or slow cooker is ideal and allowing it to steep on low for about 4 hours, then topping up with more sugar, juice, if using and more wine, as guest drink it up.
Another great way to use these mulling spices, are to put 1 – 2 sachets in a saucepan with water, bring to a simmer, and you have made yourself a festive simmering potpourri.
I love having these mulling spices ready to go, and they keep for several months stored in an airtight container, making them a huge winner on many levels.
Yield 6 sachets
Warm up your chilly nights with a warm Mulled Wine or Mulled Cider using these easy to make Mulling Spices.
- 6 Cinnamon Sticks, broken into pieces
- 1 Tbsp Cardamom pods, broken into pieces
- 3 Tbsp whole Cloves
- 2 tsp dried Orange Peel pieces
- 1 tsp dried Lemon Peel pieces
- 1 Tbsp crystallized Ginger, roughly chopped
You will need cheesecloth, doubled and cut into 6 inch squares.
- In a sealable plastic bag, add the Cinnamon and Cardamom pods. Using a rolling pin, break up the spices, by either rolling back and forth or giving it the occasional smack with the rolling pin to encourage them along.
- In a bowl, add the crushed Cinnamon and Cardamom. To that, add the remaining ingredients and toss together until well combined.
- Lay out the cut cheesecloth, placing 2 tablespoons of the mixture into the center of square, bring corners and edges together to form a sachet, tying with kitchen twine to secure.
To make mulled wine:
- Per 1 bottle of nice red wine, add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 mulling spice sachet and 1/2 cup orange juice. Place all in a slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hrs. As your guest enjoy the mulled wine, top it up by adding more wine, sugar and orange juice.
To make mulled cider
- In slow cooker, add a gallon of mulled cider plus 1 sachet and allow to simmer on low for about 4 hours. Topping up cider/apple juice as needed.