So who likes those thin and crispy shoestring style French Fries?
I sure do, in fact they are probably one of my favorites right along with crinkle cut fries.
One thing that I love about making our own batch of fries, I know exactly what they consist of, and also I get to make them just the way I like them.
There’s nothing worse than floppy, under cooked fries, but sadly, it happens. When making your own fries, you get the opportunity to hover over them to make sure they are perfectly golden and seasoned to suit your own taste. Win, win!
This recipe will easily feed four, but you just might want to make extra or even a double recipe, because they are that tasty good. We really enjoy these with our favorite, The Best Flippin’ Burger!
- 4 - 6 Potatoes (I used Idaho), cleaned, peeled, and sliced lengthwise into matchsticks
- Oil, for frying (such as Canola or Vegetable and enough to fill pot about 2 inches deep)
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Chili Pepper or Crushed Chili Flakes
- Chopped Fresh Herbs, I used Italian Flat Leaf Parsley
- Malt Vinegar
- Melted Cheese
- Chili, perfect for Chili Cheese Fries
- Clean, peel and cut each Potato lengthwise into very thin matchsticks, place into a large bowl of iced water.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Once all of the Potatoes have been sliced and have been in the ice water bath for at at least 2 - 3 minutes, remove from water and pat them dry with a paper towel. *It's best to work in batches*
- While the Potatoes are drying, pour the Oil into a heavy bottom, deep pot or use a deep fryer. Make sure that the Oil is about 2 inches in depth. Heat until hot, to test, I like to take a small piece of potato and drop into the hot oil, once the potato starts to sizzle or bubble rapidly, the oil is ready.
- Carefully add 1 - 2 handfuls of Potatoes at a time and fry for 5 - 8 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Season with Salt to taste.
- Remove the Fries from oil and transfer to pan or plate that is oven safe and keep warm in the oven until all batches are ready.
- I served mine with Salt, Pepper, Parmesan Shavings and Flat Leaf Parsley.