I have to admit that I have a bit of a fondness for prohibition-era cocktails and this vodka recipe is perfect for those cooler months to enjoy by the fireside.
Butternut and Brown Butter Washed Vodka Cocktail Recipe!
Sounds intriguing, doesn’t it? Oh my goodness, this vodka drink tastes amazing y’all! I love trying unique twists in cocktails and this one is right up there.
I was at a local speakeasy recently and my friend and I tried a similar version, after trying it, I knew I wanted to have a go at recreating my own version of the vodka cocktail. I am fairly pleased with my results and want to share them with you.
Flavored Simple Syrups!
Making a simple syrup is fairly straightforward, and is a must for any home bar. The fun comes in when you start experimenting and adding flavors to that simple syrup, it opens up so many possibilities and flavor profiles to enjoy.
For this cocktail, you can make the flavored simple syrup the day before or up to a couple of weeks ahead of time, keeping it in the refrigerator until ready to enjoy.
What You’ll Need to Make this Vodka Cocktail Drink:
- Browned Butter
- Spiced Rum
- Lemon Juice
- Orange Bitters
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- Basic Simple Syrup
- Mini marshmallows, for garnish
Tips and Tricks:
- Make ahead! Save time and make the flavored simple syrup up to a week ahead, then store it in a sealed jar in the refrigerator until ready to use in your vodka cocktails.
- Don’t forget! Plan ahead, and make the brown butter washed vodka the day before building your cocktails, give yourself time to make it. I like to make this at least a couple of days beforehand, or even up to a week ahead, then keep it sealed in a jar in the refrigerator after it has been strained and the brown butter removed.
- Save the brown butter! After you have fat washed the vodka, remove the solidified brown butter and keep it to use as a glaze for wings, roast chicken, or to finish off perfectly roasted potatoes.
- Make the garnish! To make the garnish, thread the mini marshmallows onto the cocktail sticks first, then very carefully toast them using a longneck lighter. I only toast on one side making sure to quickly blow out the lit marshmallows. You don’t want them gooey and falling off into your cocktail, but just toasted.
Other Cocktail Drinks to Try:
How to Make This Vodka Cocktail Drink:
- 2 ounces brown butter washed vodka
- 2 ounces spiced rum
- 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce roasted butternut simple syrup
- 2 - 3 dashed orange bitters
- 5 - 8 mini marshmallows, to garnish
For the Brown Butter Washed Vodka:
- 325 millilitters vodka
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter
For the Roasted Butternut Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup butternut squash, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
Brown Butter Washed Vodka:
- In a large wide-mouth jar, pour in the vodka and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter until it starts to foam, then allow to cook until the butter starts to turn golden. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Pour the cooled brown butter into the vodka, do not stir. Seal and allow to mellow and infuse the vodka for at least an hour. Place in the freezer to solidify overnight or up to a week.
- Remove from the freezer and carefully remove the solid butter with a knife. Save the butter in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator to use in other recipes.
Roasted Butternut Simple Syrup:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, add the diced butternut squash, maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg, tossing to coat.
- Transfer butternut squash to the baking sheet and spread out in a single layer.
- Roast in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes.
- While the butternut squash is roasting, place the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat, and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally, and cooking until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Once the butternut squash has roasted, remove it from the oven and carefully add to the simple syrup. Cover and allow to infuse for 1 - 2 hours. Remove the squash with a slotted spoon and transfer the flavored simple syrup to a jar and keep sealed in the refrigerator until ready to use (up to 2 weeks).
Build the Cocktail:
- In a shaker filled with ice, add the brown butter washed vodka, spiced rum, lemon juice, butternut simple syrup, and orange bitters. Shake to well to chill.
- Pour the cocktail in a glass with ice, garnish with mini marshmallows on a cocktail stick, lightly toasted if desired, and serve.
Plan ahead. Make the brown butter washed vodka and the roasted butternut squash simple syrup at least the day before or up to a week.
The vodka and butternut simple syrup can be kept sealed in the refrigerator for up to 1 - 2 weeks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 571Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 9gSugar: 45gProtein: 4g
Stacey is a Southern girl with a taste for travel, thriving on the discovery of the world through food. After spending many years traveling and living overseas, she’s now back home in her beloved deep south enjoying life with her three little ones and loving the adventure. She’s a food stylist and food photographer, as well as, the creative behind Little Figgy Food, where she loves to inspire others to try new flavors and foodie techniques.