Try this Mexican inspired recipe, using Boston or Romaine lettuce as your taco shell and fill it up with creamy lime and cilantro shredded Chicken Salad with a good dose of Pico de Gallo.
What I really enjoy about this recipe is that you can take it from a light chicken salad served over a bed of lettuce or smack it straight into your favorite taco shell, all jazzed up with fresh avocado and that oh so yummy Pico de Gallo. I’ve also been known to enjoy said chicken salad on sandwiches, with salty crackers and of course, straight up with a fork.
For the chicken salad, I used a mixture of sour cream and a bit of mayo to make it creamy (you can also substitute plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream). I like the chicken salad best when served chilled, but don’t be shy about warming it up if you prefer. To save on time, you can make both the Chicken Salad and the Pico de Gallo the day before, keeping it refrigerated until ready to serve.
It’s all good.
For the Chicken Salad:
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 heaping Tbls Mayonnaise
- Zest of 1 Lime
- Juice of 2 Limes
- 1 - 2 Tbls Milk, used to thin if necessary
- 6 - 8 cups cooked Chicken, shredded (about 1 rotisserie or 4 Chicken Breast)
For the Pico de Gallo:
- 2 medium Tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 large Red Onion, finely diced
- 1/2 - 1 Jalapeno Pepper, finely diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh Cilantro, chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Juice of 2 Limes
- 1 - 2 Avocados, sliced
- Bibb or Romaine Lettuce leaves left whole
- Cilantro, chopped
- Mix together the Sour Cream, Mayo, Lime Juice & Zest until well combined. If necessary, add 1 - 2 Tbls Milk to thin. The creamy mixture should be the consistency of salad dressing & not too thick.
- Add the creamy mixture to the cooked & shredded Chicken and mix until the chicken is coated. Chill until ready to use.
Pico de Gallo:
- Mix together the diced Tomatoes and finely diced Onion and Jalapeno (optional), Cilantro & the juice of 2 Limes. Season with Salt & Pepper to taste. Chill until ready to serve.
- To serve, simply add the Chicken Salad over the bed of Lettuce, topped off with Pico de Gallo and slices of Avocado and garnish with more Cilantro, if desired.
The Chicken Salad is best served chilled, but can be warmed if desired. You can serve in traditional taco shells or tortilla shells if you prefer.Keep stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days for both the Chicken Salad & Pico de Gallo for the best taste.
Stacey is a Southern girl with a taste for travel, thriving on the discovery of the world through food. After spending many years traveling and living overseas, she’s now back home in her beloved deep south enjoying life with her three little ones and loving the adventure. She’s a food stylist and food photographer, as well as, the creative behind Little Figgy Food, where she loves to inspire others to try new flavors and foodie techniques.