There is nothing better than a bowl of Chicken Soup!
And this Saffron Chicken and Yellow Rice Soup is simply amazing.
I wanted to post one last hot soup recipe before the summer heat sets in. Partly, because I love a good chicken and rice soup, but also because during this crazy weather and allergy season, we needed a good old fashioned remedy to strengthen us.
I can’t tell you all the reasons why a chicken soup happens to be one of the best remedies out there for when you’re feelin’ poorly *as my grandmother would intently say*. I just know that if someone starts to get sick, chicken soup must be near by.
So this recipe is two-fold really, as an all purpose home remedy, and also because it’s such a cozy and flavorful soup no matter your state of well-being.
A friend of mine gave me this recipe to try and she knows her recipes. When I talk to her about food recipes, I seriously take note! Thank you Mary for introducing me to this tasty soup. 🙂
Before I shared the recipe, I wanted to introduce you to a great tool that I use All. The. Time. for collecting and managing recipes from all over the web. Yummly! If you have never heard of it before, it’s one of the best sites to search for anything food. You can save your favorite recipes from all of your favorite food blogs, create your recipe box and collections, and it includes nutritional information. Setting up your account is free and easy. Once you’re all set, you can also download their bookmarklet to save recipes from sites that may not have a Yum sharing button, and there’s also an app for ease and convenience ~ they’ve thought of everything.
You can check out my Little Figgy publisher page here and Yum your favorites. Don’t forget to Yum this recipe as well using the Yum icon on the social share bar found along the left side of the page. I know you’ll enjoy keeping your favorite recipes all in one place!
Let’s get this Chicken Soup ON!
- 3 Chicken Breast, skinless, boneless
- Pinch of Saffron
- 6 - 8 cups Water
- 1 Tbls Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion, chopped
- 3 Stalks Celery, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, seeds removed & finely diced
- 1 - 2 large Carrots, diced
- 2 - 3 large Garlic cloves, minced or 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- Juice of 1 - 2 Limes
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 large Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (5 oz) pkg (Saffron) Yellow Rice Mix, (I used Mahatma's but Vigo is very good too)
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- Sour Cream
- Avocado slices
- In a large pot, place the Chicken breast with a pinch of Saffron and cover with the Water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for about 30 minutes. Remove cooked chicken to chopping board, reserving the broth, and shred meat with 2 forks. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat Olive Oil over medium high heat and saute the Onions, Celery, Jalapeno Pepper, Carrots & Garlic, for about 8 - 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent and veggies tender. Add in the shredded Chicken meat with the Cumin, Salt & Pepper to taste and chopped Tomatoes and Lime Juice, tossing with the veggies and cook for about 5 minutes to heat the chicken meat through.
- Add the cooked veggies and meat back to the broth along with the package of Yellow Rice, bring to a boil, cover and then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve with slices of Avocado, a good dollop of Sour Cream and garnish with some Cilantro, if desired.
You can double this recipe and freeze half for later! Great to take along in mason jars to work or school, and the perfect "Get Well" gift from the kitchen for a friend who needs some TLC.