It’s cool and refreshing and taste of a dark chocolate Mounds bar when you top it off with the Chocolate Magic Shell …
Coconut Ice Cream!
I’m completely lovin’ this ice cream. The funny wonderful thing is, there are ZERO milk products used to make it. None. In fact, it takes two cans of Coconut Milk (not coconut water) as the base for this tasty and refreshing treat.
It’s been warming up nicely here in Florida and personally, I love icy cold treats even if it’s a polar ice cap outside my door. After living in the cold and wet of Ireland for many years, I learned and even came to appreciate ice cream during the coldest of days and it kind of stuck with me. Come to think of it, I even love hot tea or coffee on the hottest of days here in Florida … right, so a bit twisted … I know.
If you have dairy allergies, this is a wonderful way to enjoy ice cream. Add on some of that Chocolate Magic Shell and viola, it’s divine! Top it off with some toasted coconut flakes and almonds and you’ve made yourself an Almond Joy.
For me, it’s a Mounds Bar in a cone.
Ice Cream makes me smile.
Life can be dull and humdrum sometimes and there is nothing like an ice cream cone piled high to brighten up your day. It doesn’t solve life’s problems but is sure makes a moment in time a little happier.
My kids love it when they see the ice cream maker come out. Their little eyes light up and the corners of their mouth turn up into the most gorgeous of smiles. It’s worth making your own for so many reasons. I also love knowing what is in my food and being able to pronounce all of the ingredients. You know that head tilt thing you do when you start reading the labels on food, yeah you know what I’m mean. It’s like when you don’t know the words to a song and start repeating “watermelon”. Well there’s no fumbling here, just simple ingredients that taste amazing.
This is ridiculously dead easy to make and taste amazing! Serve it with topped off with toasted Coconut and slivered Almonds and for that indulgent treat, make the homemade Chocolate Magic Shell and your going to want this over and over again. Yes, it’s nice!
- 2 cans Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 cup coconut + 1/2 cup coconut for toasting
- 1/4 cup slivered/sliced almonds for toasting
For the Ice Cream:
- In a large bowl, place the Coconut Milk, Sugar, Salt and Coconut Extract and mix together until sugar has dissolved.
- Prepare in Ice Cream Maker according to manufacturers directions.
- When Ice cream is starting to thicken up (last 5-10 minutes), add in the 1/2 cup Coconut flakes. Ice Cream will be the consistency of soft serve.
- Transfer to freezer proof container for storage. If you prefer your ice cream firm, then place in freezer for an additional 30 minutes - 1 hour.
For the Toasted Coconut and Almonds:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, scatter the 1/2 cup coconut and sliced almonds in a single layer.
- Toast in preheated oven for 5 minutes or until just starting to turn golden. Keep an eye out because they will burn quickly if left unattended.
- Serve Ice Cream topped off with toasted coconut and almonds. Great also topped off with homemade Chocolate Magic Shell!
Stacey is a Southern girl with a taste for travel, thriving on the discovery of the world through food. After spending many years traveling and living overseas, she’s now back home in her beloved deep south enjoying life with her three little ones and loving the adventure. She’s a food stylist and food photographer, as well as, the creative behind Little Figgy Food, where she loves to inspire others to try new flavors and foodie techniques.