Don’t forget the …
I can’t imagine a holiday table without some gorgeous dressing or stuffing of some kind! What would the point be? There is almost a crazy comfort in having it there ready for someone to enjoy.
On our table you will find a variety of classic and familiar dishes, also we are of the prime rib persuasion for our front and center Christmas meal. Through the years, I have tried many dressings: to be cooked separately in it own dish, and stuffings: to be cooked stuffed into a turkey, goose or duck. My all time favorite is this gorgeous Cornbread Dressing. Depending on my mood (ha) I might change it up a bit with different dried fruits and nuts, but overall this is the way it’s done around here!
I enjoy it with a bit of that Cranberry Sauce lingering on the edge and maybe a little gravy making it’s way around the plate, that’s just enough yum right there. Cornbread Dressing uses southern Skillet Cornbread and a small mix of white bread crumbs, then you hit that with a good portion of onion, celery, sage and thyme … it all makes for a gorgeous side to your favorite holiday meal.
- 2 oz (1/4 cup) Unsalted Butter
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 2 stalks Celery, diced
- 2 large Apples, diced (1/2 inch bites)
- 1 Tbls dried Thyme
- 2 tsp dried rubbed Sage
- 1 Tbls dried Parsley
- 2 Eggs, whisked
- 12 - 16 oz Chicken Stock
- 4 cups Skillet Cornbread, crumbled
- 2 cups plain Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup chopped Pecans, toasted
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt butter. Once butter is melted add in the diced Onions and Celery, cooking for 8 - 10 minutes or until Onions are translucent.
- Add in the diced Apple and cook until just softening, about 2 - 3 minutes. Season with the Thyme, Sage and Parsley, Salt and Pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the crumbled Cornbread and Bread crumbs. Add the Onion mixture and whisked Eggs mixing well.
- Stir in 1 cup of the Chicken Stock, mix until well combined. If needed, add 1/4 cup of Stock until moist and desired consistency (no more than 2 cups in total).
- Transfer Cornbread Dressing to oven proof dish(s) and bake in pre-heated 350°F for 20 minutes covered with foil, remove foil and continue to bake an additional 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Stacey is a Southern girl with a taste for travel, thriving on the discovery of the world through food. After spending many years traveling and living overseas, she’s now back home in her beloved deep south enjoying life with her three little ones and loving the adventure. She’s a food stylist and food photographer, as well as, the creative behind Little Figgy Food, where she loves to inspire others to try new flavors and foodie techniques.