This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #AuthenticClamatoFlavor
If you celebrate Lent, then you know that many Christians start observing Lent from Ash Wednesday for 6 weeks leading up to Easter Sunday. It’s a time to revisit the meaning of Easter and the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
During Lent, many people will fast certain foods for the entirety of Lent, while others will fast meat on Ash Wednesday and every Friday for the 6 weeks. Our family falls into the latter, incorporating meatless meals during those times. Albeit a solemn observance, being able to share this time with family and collectively take part is priceless to me.
We usually eat meat for most of our dinners, so during Lent, I pull out some of our favorite Lenten recipes. This basically means vegetarian/meatless meals. One easy option that we like is a lovely homemade tomato sauce topped off with ricotta cakes. It’s filling, the kids enjoy them, and it works perfectly as a recipe during Lent.
My daughter loves this tomato sauce so much, that she will eat it by the bowlful as a soup, so I usually make extra. It’s so easy to make and completely versatile to enjoy with pasta, over baked potatoes, or with fish and seafood meals.
I was able to find all of the ingredients needed for this recipe while doing my weekly shopping at my local Publix. I’m always running there for everything, from our pantry basics to quality fresh produce, and everything else in between.
I made this easy tomato sauce with Clamato® Original, it’s the perfect canvas for adding a depth of flavor and spicy bright flavors to any meal or cocktail. Clamato is ideal for pairing with seafood and creates the perfect Michelada. I used the Clamato Original flavor for this recipe, but I also recommend checking out the Clamato Limon flavor.
You can find Clamato in the juice aisle at your local Publix. But before you go be sure to take advantage of the Clamato savings offer going on at Publix, from 3/01/19-4/7/19.
Get your coupon! Save $1.00 on one 64oz Clamato® (any flavor, including Clamato Original and Clamato Limon). Offer valid on Clamato 64oz Bottles, 3/1/19 – 4/7/19, or while supplies last. Limit one per customer.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 3 cups Clamato
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine, optional
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 bunch fresh basil, diced
- salt to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 16 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 shallot, diced fine (about 2 tbsps)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 - 3 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- olive oil, for shallow frying
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, ricotta, grated zucchini, shallots, garlic, the lemon zest, and Parmesan, then add in the flour and season with salt, mixing well. Set aside.
- Put 2 - 3 tablespoons of olive oil into a large skillet, heat on medium high until the oil is nice and hot. Using a tablespoon, carefully drop spoonfuls of the mixture. Cook for about 2 - 3 minutes on each side until golden.
- In a large saucepan, add the olive oil and flour, cook over medium-high heat for 2 - 3 minutes, and continuously stirring.
- Add in the diced shallots, and cook for about 1 minute stirring occasionally. The mixture will start to get dry. Add the garlic and mushrooms to the saucepan, and continue cooking for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Now pour in the Clamato, stirring well to mix, and add in the tomato paste and diced tomatoes, stirring to mix well.
- Pour in the red wine, if using, and add the oregano, nutmeg, honey, salt, and basil, turn the heat down to low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Give it a taste, adjust seasoning if needed.
- To serve:
- Spoon some of the sauce onto a plate, top with the ricotta cakes, garnish with lemon wedges and fresh oregano or basil, and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 655 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 139mg Sodium: 2831mg Carbohydrates: 74g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 17g Protein: 28g