Back to School. What?! Why yes, it is.
What can I do with kids who are bored with the run of the mill lunches though? I can reinvent healthy food to keep it interesting and keep them coming back for more … and trust me they do!
One of our favorite easy lunches to pack or made as a light and quick dinner is to make Sushi Sammies. I’ve pimped up the old stand by of tuna salad and have given it a new life as Sushi Sammies.
When making tasty tuna salad, I use Bumble Bee Premium Light Tuna in Water Pouches or the Bumble Bee Premium Albacore Tuna – both are excellent in flavor. The pouches come in 2 1/2 oz. or 5 oz. with minimal mess (basically NO mess = joy), you can also buy the 5 oz cans if you prefer for any of the recipes.
I am way happy with how these little Sushi Sammies turned out. This recipe is a basic Tuna Salad sandwich, but it’s all about presentation.
For more information products visit the Bumble Bee website. For a treasure trove of recipes you can visit Bumble Bee, it’s full recipe inspiration. You can also show your support and Like Bumble Bee on Facebook, Follow Bumble Bee on Twitter or Follow Bumble Bee on Pinterest! Do you have your own favorite recipe, please share below, we all would love to hear about it.
- 2 (2.5 oz) Bumble Bee Premium Light Tuna in Water Pouches (or one 5 oz Water Pouch or Can, drained)
- 1 1/2 - 2 Tbls. Creamy Caesar Dressing (you can also use mayonnaise if you prefer)
- 1/2 small Cucumber, seeds removed and julienned
- 1 - 2 Spring Onions, julienned (about 4 inches in length)
- 1 stalk of Celery, diced (optional)
- 1/2 Tomato, sliced (optional)
- 4 slices of Bread, crust removed (white or wheat are good)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a small bow, mix together the Bumble Bee Premium Light Tuna, Creamy Caesar Dressing and Salt and Pepper, Celery and Tomato (optional). Cover and Set aside.
- Cut the crusts off of bread, then using a rolling pin, roll the bread until thin.
- To each slice, add a spoonful of the Tuna Salad and place 2 - 3 pieces each of the Cucumber and Spring Onion.
- Grabbing the long end, start by carefully rolling and keeping the mixture and bread tight, tucking and rolling as you go.
- With a dab of water, add across the end of the bread seam and press to seal.
- Cut into about 4 Sushi's per roll and serve. Keep the Tuna Salad and the Sushi Sammies covered in plastic wrap until ready to serve.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Stacey is a Southern girl with a taste for travel, thriving on the discovery of the world through food. After spending many years traveling and living overseas, she’s now back home in her beloved deep south enjoying life with her three little ones and loving the adventure. She’s a food stylist and food photographer, as well as, the creative behind Little Figgy Food, where she loves to inspire others to try new flavors and foodie techniques.