Soup’s ON …
I don’t know about you, but with the fall wind’s blowing in, I pull out my soup favorite recipes and keep them handy for the duration. I love soups, from the broth-based to the heavy cream-based, they are comforting on so many levels.
A few years ago, I was at a friend’s house and she was making this soup for lunch. I was hooked. It’s so dead easy to make and taste oh so cozy. Thankfully she was kind enough to share the recipe with me.
Do you need a quick soup that doesn’t require hours to make, well, this is THAT soup. A broth based soup, with a punch of vitamins from the added spinach and those gorgeous, cheesy stuffed Tortellini in there begging for attention, all make for a healthy and cozy choice for dinner or light lunch. If you absolutely have a must-eat-meat eater in your family, then add in some shredded rotisserie chicken and now you have a hearty, healthy and cozy choice for that dinner or kind of light lunch. Win-win.
If you are making this recipe with the shredded chicken, then you can make it in the slow cooker on low for 4 hrs, but do wait until the last 20 – 30 minutes of the cooking time to add in the Tortellini pasta … that’s so it doesn’t go into an oblivious mushy mess, then wait until you turn off the heat to add in the spinach and watch it go from I’m not really sure about this … to … Oh do I need to add in more? … I’m a one spinach bag kind of girl if you’re asking.
Stay cozy and enjoy!
- 1 pkg (@ 9 or 10 oz), Fresh Cheese Tortellini Pasta, or you can use your favorite flavored Tortellini pasta. (find them in the refrigerated section)
- 8 cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 1 bag Fresh Spinach, washed and dried
- Juice of 1 - 2 Lemons
- Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese, to garnish
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 - 2 cups Rotisserie Chicken, shredded
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, bring the Broth to a boil, then add in the fresh Tortellini Pasta, cooking according to directions. (If using the Chicken, now's the time to add it in, cook for about 5 - 8 minutes to heat the meat through).
- Once Tortellini is done, remove pan from heat and add in the fresh Spinach, and stir until it starts to wilt.
- Squeeze in the Lemon juice, check the taste, add more if needed.
- Season to taste with Pepper and Salt if desired.
- Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.
Serve and Enjoy!
The quantity can easily be doubled, just adjust flavor to taste with salt & pepper.