A Classic Treat Redefined …
Salted Caramel Rice Crispy Treats!
Yes, Salted Caramel is everywhere and of course, it has to turn up in Rice Crispy Treats too. No, it’s not the first time and it definitely won’t be the last we see of anything salty sweet appear on Little Figgy. Why? Have you tasted this combo?!? If you have yet to be subjected to the salty sweet food that is in every food magazine, in every restaurant, across most food blogs and all the nooks and crannies in between, then where in the world have you been?!?
I do love salted caramel to bits and it’s safe to say that you wouldn’t find me turning it down. Nope, nope … nope. It’s one of those flavors that just make my taste buds do the happy dance.
For this recipe, you have this addictive blend, not only of the Salt and Caramel, but I decided to pimp it up slightly with a moderate addition of creamy peanut butter and brown butter. Yes, I did. The results turned out a balance of a velvety “give me more” taste that would make anyone’s heart go pitter patter.
So, if you think that the traditional classic of Rice Crispy Treats were getting a bit boring, then you really should try these. Ridiculously easy to make, great for packing in the kids lunches (yours) and a tasty treat anytime.
Salted Caramel Rice Crispy Treats
Yield 16 - 20
Salted Caramel Rice Crispy Treats with a hint of creamy peanut butter and browned butter! A perfect treat anytime!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Butter, plus extra for greasing
- 10 oz bag (4 cups), Miniature Marshmallows (or 40 large Marshmallows)
- 1/2 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 6 cups Rice Crispy Cereal
- 2 oz Caramel Sauce (I use Bryers Caramel Sauce in the pouch)
- 1 tsp course Sea Salt (can also use Margarita Salt, which works well)
- Grease an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan with butter.
- In a saucepan, melt the Butter and allow to brown about 5 - 7 minutes.
- In a large microwave proof bowl, add the Browned Butter, Marshmallows and Peanut Butter. Microwave on high for 2 - 3 minutes or until mixture has melted then stir until smooth.
- Add in the Rice Crispies 2 cups at a time and mix quickly until all are well blended.
- Using a buttered spoon or spatula, pour mixture into prepared pan, pressing as you go. (I like to put a little butter on my hands and press the mixture until firm).
- Drizzle with the Caramel Sauce and sprinkle with Salt.
- Allow to cool, then cut into squares and serve. (Caramel will sink through to bottom, yum)
- Can be kept in an airtight container for up to a week.