These Thai Fish Cakes, oh yeah!
Now, I have to say this, if you enjoy spicy, these are definitely worth a try , but if you shy away from fire in your belly kind of food, then you can still enjoy these, just leave out the red chilies.
It’s not as hard to find the ingredients nowadays, since most of your grocery stores are carrying a section for international ingredients. Lemongrass might be a bit harder to find, but I usually buy mine in a tube as minced lemongrass, it’s typically near the fresh herbs or where you would find minced garlic.
* The only special equipment that I used was a food processor, but you can also use a blender if preferred. *
If you enjoy Salmon Cakes, then these will be a great alternative to switch it up. You can prepare the fish patty-cake mixture ahead of time and keep them covered in the refrigerator until you are ready to enjoy. They only take a few minutes to cook and are best served fresh and hot.
Next time you want to enjoy fish, but enjoy on the pimped up side, try these easy to make and tasty Thai Fish Cakes!
Thai Fish Cakes
Full of crazy good flavor and easy to make, Thai Fish Cakes!
- 1 - 2 Red Chili Peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 - 2 Garlic Cloves, skin removed
- 2 - 16 oz white Fish, such as Haddock or Cod
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp Thai Red Curry Paste
- 2 tsp Fish Sauce (Nam Pla)
- 1 tsp Lemongrass, minced in jar or 1 fresh Lemongrass stalk, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch or Rice Flour
- 1 cup Cilantro, loosely packed and divided
- 3 - 4 Spring Onions, sliced
- Oil for shallow frying
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sliced Spring Onions
- Lime Wedges
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- In a processor, add the Chili Pepper and Garlic, chop it up.
- Add in the Fish (make sure there are no bones), Egg, Curry Paste, Fish Sauce and Lemongrass. Process it until you have a paste. Add in half of the Cilantro and Cornstarch, process another few seconds until everything is well combined.
- Using a spoon, fold in the Spring Onions and the remaining Cilantro. Mix well.
- Heat up the Oil (about 1 inch deep) in a skillet. I usually drop in a bit of pepper or flour to see if it sizzles and if so, it's ready to go.
- Take about a golf ball size of the fish mixture and make the fish cakes, about 1/2 inch thick, then carefully place in the hot frying pan. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side until golden. Remove from heat and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve the hot Fish Cakes with Lime Wedges, Sweet Chili Sauce and top with fresh Cilantro and Spring Onions.
- Tastes great served over rice noodles or jasmine rice.
For more heat, add more Red Chili Peppers or extra Red Curry Paste.