Butternut squash soup with apple, easily made in the Instant Pot (pressure cooker).
By making this apple and butternut squash soup in your pressure cooker or instant pot, you can enjoy a stunning, creamy soup in no time. Perfect for when you have a bazillion other things going on in your life but need a healthy 30-minute meal on the table.
This easy instant pot soup recipe is full of goodness, and by cooking it in a pressure cooker, all of the goodness is locked in to give it a depth of flavors.
This is a keto-friendly and gluten-free soup as is, but it can easily be made a dairy-free soup, vegetarian soup, and paleo soup with a simple switch in ingredients.
How to make a dairy-free soup?
Simply switch the unsalted butter for olive oil or coconut oil when sauteeing and it is as simple as that.
How to make a paleo-friendly or vegetarian/vegan soup?
You’ll need to switch the chicken broth with vegetable broth or water, as well as, substitute the unsalted butter with vegan butter, olive oil, or coconut oil to make this a vegetarian/vegan-friendly soup as well as a paleo-friendly recipe.
If you need to follow specific dietary restrictions, but you love the idea of the recipe, you can always look for ways to make substitutes so that the recipe falls into your dietary needs.
I have a friend that has to follow a strict autoimmune diet and albeit this recipe has grass-fed unsalted butter, she can easily enjoy this butternut squash soup by substituting the butter for olive oil or coconut oil, essentially making this a dairy-free soup.
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Easy Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chipotle Pumpkin Soup
- Simple Tortellini Soup
- Wild Mushroom Soup
- Columbian Chicken, Corn, and Potato Stew
- Vegan Soup Ideas
How to make Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, or you can use, ghee, olive oil or coconut oil
- 4-5 cups butternut squash (1 med, cut into 1 in cubes)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 tart apple, such as a Granny Smith, diced (do not peel)
- 3 cups chicken broth, vegetable broth, or water
- Nutmeg, grated to garnish
- In an instant pot, set to sauté, add all ingredients but reserve the broth, and sauté vegetables for about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, place lid on and lock, switch setting to pressure on hi, set valve to seal, and time for 15 minutes. Once finished, allow to naturally release pressure or use quick release.
- Transfer to a large capacity blender (or process in two batches), purée for 30-60 seconds.
- Serve garnished with grated nutmeg.
To make this recipe dairy-free:
Substitute the butter for olive oil or coconut oil.
To make this Paleo, vegan/vegetarian:
Substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth or water (please note that with water you need to adjust seasoning by adding garlic, herbs, spices, or salt and pepper to taste).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Ninja Foodi Cold & Hot Cook Hot Soups, Sauces and Dips Blender with 1400 Peak Watts to Crush Frozen Drinks & Smoothies Nonstick Glass Pitcher (HB152), 64 oz, Black
Ninja FD401 Foodi 8-qt. 9-in-1 Deluxe XL Cooker & Air Fryer-Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker, 8-Quart,
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 460 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 30mg Sodium: 535mg Carbohydrates: 93g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 24g Sugar: 27g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 8g
Stacey is a Southern girl with a taste for travel, thriving on the discovery of the world through food. After spending many years traveling and living overseas, she’s now back home in her beloved deep south enjoying life with her three little ones and loving the adventure. She’s a food stylist and food photographer, as well as, the creative behind Little Figgy Food, where she loves to inspire others to try new flavors and foodie techniques.