This pecorino pancetta and garlic mashed potatoes recipe!
This garlic mashed potatoes post is sponsored by Idaho Potatoes Commission. All opinions are my own.
I can’t think of a more classic side dish, than mashed potatoes. Of course, there are other tasty basic vegetables to enjoy, but when I was young, that was the side that I wanted on my plate.
When I was older and realized that there was more than one way to make mashed potatoes, it was a wondrous thing! There are so many wonderful ways to enjoy potatoes, including this recipe that I adore for garlic mashed potatoes that have been happily whacked with pecorino cheese and crispy pancetta.
What is the best potato variety to use for this garlic potatoes recipe?
When buying potatoes, I always look for the certified grown in Idaho label, letting me know that I’m buying quality Idaho Potatoes. To make the creamiest, mashed potatoes, you should use a fluffy potato variety, such as the russet, which is what I used in this recipe. I don’t recommend a waxy potato variety because that would create an almost gluey sticky mashed potato. So go for the russet Idaho potatoes for the best mashed potatoes.
For more great ideas and recipes, visit www.idahopotato.com.
Is pecorino the same as parmesan?
Although both are salty with a hard cheese texture, pecorino is made from sheep’s milk with a saltier and tangy flavor, whereas parmesan cheese is made from cows milk and has a nutty and a milder overall taste.
Can I substitute parmesan for pecorino?
If you prefer, of course, you can substitute a quality parmesan cheese for the pecorino cheese. Just be mindful that due to the saltier flavor of the pecorino, you will need to adjust any salt added to taste.
Other tasty side dish recipes to try.
- Duchess Potatoes, elegant mashed potato bites.
- Roasted Asparagus with Prosciutto, easy to make and gorgeous.
- Date and Orange Salad, a simple to make Moroccan inspired dish.
How to make garlic mashed potatoes with pecorino and pancetta.
- 2 1/2 - 3 pounds Russet Idaho Potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes.
- 4 oz. of pancetta, cubed, diced, whatever
- 1 cloves of garlic, minced fine (or 2 teaspoons garlic paste)
- 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup pecorino cheese, grated (or parmesan cheese)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh sage, to garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, add the diced potatoes and cover with a couple of inches of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer, allowing the potatoes to cook for about 15 minutes, or until a knife is easily inserted and potatoes are tender. Drain, return cooked potatoes to the pot, and allow to steam for about 5 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, add the pancetta and cook until crispy, about 5 - 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Drain the cooked pancetta on a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Mash potatoes in the pot, add the garlic, sage, and butter. Then add in the milk and cheese, mashing and mixing well until creamy.
- Add in all but a couple of tablespoons of the crispy pancetta and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. If needed add a little more milk, a tablespoon at a time, until you have the desired consistency.
- Serve garnished with the remaining pancetta, and if desired any of the pancetta drippings, a small grating of more cheese if desired and a sprig of fresh sage.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 462 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 303mg Carbohydrates: 52g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 14g
Stacey is a Southern girl with a taste for travel, thriving on the discovery of the world through food. After spending many years traveling and living overseas, she’s now back home in her beloved deep south enjoying life with her three little ones and loving the adventure. She’s a food stylist and food photographer, as well as, the creative behind Little Figgy Food, where she loves to inspire others to try new flavors and foodie techniques.