This date and orange salad recipe is so simple to make and tastes gorgeous!
One of my favorite world cuisines is the exotic flavors of Morocco! I love that they have taken some of the most simple of ingredients and have created some of the most stunning recipes I’ve tasted. Case in point, this Moroccan inspired date orange salad.
This Moroccan inspired date and orange salad are vibrant with a hint of heat from the added chile peppers which of course is purely optional. In this simple orange salad, the bright citrusy flavors are sweetened with the dates to round off the taste, and if you’re up for it, do try that extra kick of heat from the chile. Traditionally Moroccan food is not spicy, but I’m all about putting your own spin on flavors and making it your own.
What are the health benefits of dates?
- Dates are naturally very sweet and can even be used as a healthy substitute for sugar cup for cup.
- Dates have one of the highest antioxidant contents compared to other dried fruits such as raisins.
- Albeit not confirmed by studies yet, dates have the potential of maintaining bone density and regulating blood sugar levels. For more information and other benefits, check out this article from Healthline.com.
What are the health benefits of oranges?
- The most well-known benefit of oranges is that they are a great source of vitamin C and fiber.
- A daily intake of oranges may help lower your risk of heart disease.
- Oranges are anti-inflammatory, plus they are a good source of calcium and potassium. For more information, check out WebMD.
Other Moroccan inspired recipes to try:
- Moroccan Potato Salad, a twist on the traditional potato salad.
- Easy to make Lamb Sliders, with a harissa yogurt sauce.
- Moroccan inspired grilled Rack of Lamb.
- 3 - 4 oranges (I used a mix of navel oranges and mandarins)
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils (seeds)
- 1/2 - 1 hot chile pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey (or pomegranate molasses if preferred)
- Pinch of salt, optional
- Peel the oranges, removing as much of the white pith as possible. Slice in 1/4 inch thick slices, place in a serving dish.
- Slice the dates in half, remove the pit, then slice thinly (julienned). Add to oranges.
- Garnish the salad with pomegranate arils and diced chile pepper., if preferred.
- Mix together the orange juice and honey (or pomegranate molasses), drizzle over salad and toss.
- Season if desired with salt, serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nature Nate’s 100% Pure Raw & Unfiltered Honey; 32-oz. Squeeze Bottle; Certified Gluten Free and OU Kosher Certified; Enjoy Honey’s Balanced Flavors, Wholesome Benefits and Sweet Natural Goodness
Cortas Pomegranate Molasses, 10 oz
Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Medjool Dates, 2 Lbs - Soft Chewy Texture | Sweet Caramel Flavor | Farm Fresh
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 37mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 6gSugar: 44gProtein: 3g
Stacey is a Southern girl with a taste for travel, thriving on the discovery of the world through food. After spending many years traveling and living overseas, she’s now back home in her beloved deep south enjoying life with her three little ones and loving the adventure. She’s a food stylist and food photographer, as well as, the creative behind Little Figgy Food, where she loves to inspire others to try new flavors and foodie techniques.