Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwich Recipe
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwich, so easy to make!
This Pulled Pork Sandwich! It is such a classic, easy to make and is perfect for summer, fall, or any time of year! Cook it in the oven or put it in the slow cooker for 6 – 8 hours to cook it low and slow.
Using a slow cooker is a huge time saver for me, because I don’t have to babysit the cooking process, and can take care of my daily tasks without worrying about what’s happening in the kitchen.
What I love about making this pulled pork recipe in the slow cooker is that you can go about your busy day and come home to have dinner waiting on you! All you have to do is toast your bun, pile on the tender pulled pork, and enjoy. I like to use my small batch smoky spice rub blend to season the pork, and add in a couple of quartered onions, set the slow cooker on low and let it do its thing.
What do you serve with pulled pork?
- When setting the table, I like to serve the Pulled Pork sandwiches with a lot of little bowls filled with my favorite BBQ sauce scattered up and down the table so everyone is within reach.
Side dish recipes to try:
- Loaded and Smokin’ BBQ Beans, this is by far my favorite and could even be a meal on its own!
- Cole Slaw, simple to make and a classic side with pulled pork sandwiches.
- Classic Southern Skillet Cornbread, so simple and tasty.
- Collard Greens! This is seriously southern and the perfect side dish to pulled pork.
- Garlic dill pickles or pickled okra.
- Don’t forget to add onions. You can use freshly sliced onions, caramelized onions, or add the cooked onions from the slow cooker to finish a pulled pork sandwich.
If you have a multi-cooker, such as an Instant Pot or my personal favorite, the Ninja Foodi multi-cooker, you can use the slow cooker setting in the same way as a dedicated slow cooker, such as a Crock Pot, to achieve great results.
Don’t have a slow cooker or multi-cooker? Try this recipe to make oven-roasted pulled pork.
How to make pulled pork
Pulled Pork Sandwich
An easy to make Pulled Pork Sandwich, slow cooker style! Perfect to share with friends and family any time of year!
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock or water
- 3 large yellow onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Spice rub, enough to coat meat generously
- 5-6 lbs pork shoulder or pork butt
To Serve, optional
- Hamburger Buns
- BBQ Sauce, your favorite to add to taste
- Sliced Onions
- Set the slow cooker to low heat.
- Add chicken stock in first, then layer with sliced onions and garlic.
- Using the spice rub, generously rub into the meat, place meat in the slow cooker on top of onions and garlic. Cover and let it slow cook over the low heat for 6 - 8 hours, adding up to 1/2 cup more of chicken stock or water around sides of meat only if needed.
- Once cooked and tender, using two forks, carefully pull the meat apart (shredding it).
- To serve, if desired, toast hamburger buns, add a heaping amount of pulled pork meat, drizzle on some BBQ sauce, top with the slow-cooked onions or coleslaw and serve.
You can substitute the homemade spice rub blend recipe with your favorite pork rub or you can use a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce to add flavor.
Pork tends to render a lot of juices, do not be tempted to add in too much liquid at the beginning, but rather periodically check, and add liquid only if needed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Jack Daniel's Original Quality Pork Rub, 11 oz
Reynolds Kitchens Premium Slow Cooker Liners, 6 Count, Pack of 2
All-Clad SD700450 Programmable Oval-Shaped Slow Cooker with Black Ceramic Insert and Glass Lid, 6.5-Quart, Silver
Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S-A 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker with Digital Timer, Stainless Steel
Ninja FD401 Foodi 8-qt. 9-in-1 Deluxe XL Cooker & Air Fryer-Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker, 8-Quart,
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 708Total Fat: 50gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 215mgSodium: 220mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 57g
Stacey is a Southern girl with a taste for travel, thriving on the discovery of the world through food. After spending many years traveling and living overseas, she’s now back home in her beloved deep south enjoying life with her three little ones and loving the adventure. She’s a food stylist and food photographer, as well as, the creative behind Little Figgy Food, where she loves to inspire others to try new flavors and foodie techniques.