Every year during the holidays this was a favorite side dish that was a must have on the dinner table …
You know there are just certain foods that bring back great holiday memories and if you are missing them, those traditional holiday meals just don’t seem to be complete. For me Rice Consomme is one of those beloved recipes. It might sound a bit fancy, but it’s so easy to make – so don’t be shy.
This dish is classy. It has a nutty, beefy bite to it that compliments any main dish. If you want to plan ahead, it can be made the day before and simply warm it up in the oven before serving. When I was little, I remember piling it up on my plate and picking the mushrooms out and giving them to my mom … it took me a while before I liked mushrooms … then I would pick all of the water chestnuts out because I DID love them and saved them to eat at the end. Yes, I was one of those that separated my food and ate one thing at a time, but thankfully I FINALLY grew out of it (for the most part, lol).
If you are looking for a simple yet classy side dish to serve up with your holiday meals this year or even to serve for a “Sunday dinner” or anytime for that matter, Rice Consomme is one to try!
- 1 cup Rice
- 10.5 oz can of Beef Consomme (clear beef broth)
- 4 oz canned Mushrooms, sliced and drained (fresh is fine)
- 8 oz canned Water Chestnuts, sliced and drained
- 4 Tbls Butter
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a 2 quart oven safe (preferably) glass dish, add in the Rice.
- Using a measuring cup, Beef Consomme then top it up with water until the liquid measures 2 cups. Pour over the rice.
- Continue to add the Mushrooms, Water Chestnuts and dot top with pats of the Butter.
- Pop it in the oven covered with foil for 40 minutes. Check rice to see if the liquid has been absorbed.
- Uncover for the last 20 minutes to lightly brown. Carefully remove from oven and give it a stir.
Can be served straight away or cooled down and kept for 1 day then re-heated in a 350F oven for 15 minutes before serving.
Rice dish freezes well for up to a month. Defrost in refrigerator for 24 hours then re-heat in oven as stated above.
Note: Do not add salt if using regular Beef Consomme, only salt to taste when serving.
Serves 4 - 6
Stacey is a Southern girl with a taste for travel, thriving on the discovery of the world through food. After spending many years traveling and living overseas, she’s now back home in her beloved deep south enjoying life with her three little ones and loving the adventure. She’s a food stylist and food photographer, as well as, the creative behind Little Figgy Food, where she loves to inspire others to try new flavors and foodie techniques.