This crab cake recipe tastes amazing and is absolutely ideal for summer!
Enjoying time with friends and family, sharing great conversation and delicious food during this wildly crazy hot summer! Try these simple to make seafood lettuce wraps, a gorgeous crab cake recipe.
For me, summertime is all about spending quality time with family, making those times even more special by pulling out the stops with amazing food is simply a bonus.
I’m a huge fan of lettuce wraps and am always looking for new ways to enjoy them and stuff them full of flavor. For this lettuce wrap recipe, I was craving seafood! Albeit a Georgia girl, I did spend many years living on the coast in Florida, and during those Florida years, I became a bit spoiled to great fish and seafood.
Today, still spoiled to great seafood, I decided to make these crab cakes and load up some radicchio then top them off with a creamy homemade caper remoulade.
Here are some other great fish and seafood recipes that you might enjoy!
How to make crab cakes!
To make crab cakes, I like to use lump crab meat for the best flavor. I usually find mine at my local Publix, but you can also check out other grocery stores such as The Fresh Market or Whole Foods.
I like to use radicchio for the lettuce wraps, they have a nice delicate flavor, are beautiful with a deep red-purple color and are the perfect size to fill up with goodies. If you are unable to find radicchio, not a problem, you should be able to get a whole of a head of Boston bibb lettuce.
Crab cakes are quick and easy to make, but if you want to prepare the crab cake recipe mixture ahead of time, you can form the patties, then cover and keep refrigerated for an hour or even the night before. Simply continue to cook according to directions, and serve warm with a nice drizzle of caper remoulade!
For the Crab Cakes:
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 tsp. salt, to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper, to taste
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper (mix of green, red and yellow), finely diced
- 1 lb. jumbo lump crab meat
- 1 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 4 Tbsps. olive oil, divided
For the Lettuce Wraps:
- Radicchio lettuce leaves, cleaned
- Mixture of baby greens
- Spring Onions, diced
- Lemon wedges, to garnish
- Caper Remoulade
To Make the Crab Cakes:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the egg, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, hot sauce, and salt and pepper together until mixed well.
- Add the shallots, bell peppers, crab meat, and breadcrumbs to the mayonnaise mixture until combined.
- Form into patties (about 4 - 6 depending on size), at this point you can cover and chill for 1 hour or up to overnight if preferred.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Sear crab cakes until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Allow to cool on paper towel lined dish.
- To serve, simply take a radicchio leaf, tuck in some baby greens, and spring onion, top with a warm crab cake and drizzle on some caper remoulade and a squeeze of lemon if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 533Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 162mgSodium: 1680mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 30g
Stacey is a Southern girl with a taste for travel, thriving on the discovery of the world through food. After spending many years traveling and living overseas, she’s now back home in her beloved deep south enjoying life with her three little ones and loving the adventure. She’s a food stylist and food photographer, as well as, the creative behind Little Figgy Food, where she loves to inspire others to try new flavors and foodie techniques.