Spinach Salad with Feta Dressing!
There are salads made with watery iceberg lettuce and it’s a bit on the boring side … let’s pass that on that choice, then there are salads that can offer up incredible flavor and hold their own. This Spinach Salad with Feta Dressing is a bit on the nom nom nom side. I am a huge fan of fresh spinach and for some reason, one of it’s best buds happens to be feta cheese. They are a perfect pair and this feta dressing seriously shows off in this salad.
The feta dressing is the perfect creamy dressing (if you want, you could hide away in the pantry and drink it on it’s own – but you won’t because then your spinach salad would be boring without it). I would highly suggest doubling or even tripling the batch if you needed to. The dressing alone taste gorgeous drizzled over grilled chicken or steak or top off a fluffy baked potato. Oh yum.
When picking out your ingredients, buy the best quality you can afford. If you live close enough to your local grocery store, buy your fresh produce in smaller amounts so that it doesn’t have a chance to go off before you get to enjoy it. This assures that your salads well be absolutely gorgeous and fresh tasting.
For the spinach, look for the baby leaf spinach as it has a better flavor and is more tender. When washing your lettuce, try to dry it in a salad spinner if you have a trusty one, otherwise, use paper towels to help absorb the water. #StoringTip: Once you have your spinach (or any lettuce) at home, take it out of it’s packaging, wash and drain/dry, then put a double layer of paper towels in the bottom of a refrigerator safe bowl, add your cleaned lettuce, finally topping it off with a couple more paper towels over the top, keeping in the crisper drawer and your all set to enjoy a fresh salad without all the extra prep work.
This salad is a healthy and light option for any meal. If you want, you can add in some grilled beef, chicken or SHRIMP (oh yeah!) for a more substantial meal. Don’t forget to double or triple that dressing!
It’s a crazy delicious SALAD!
For the Dressing:
- 2 oz (1/3 cup) Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tbls Lemon Juice
- 2 1/2 Tbls Water
- 1 Tbls Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbls Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the Salad:
- 3 - 6 slices Bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
- 2 - 4 cups Fresh Baby Leaf Spinach, washed and drained
- 1/2 medium Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup Dates, chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
For the Dressing:
- In a food processor, add the Feta Cheese, Lemon Juice, Water, Mayonnaise. Process for about 15 - 30 seconds until well blended. Drizzle in the Olive Oil and continue to blend for about 30 seconds until the Olive Oil has been well incorporated.
- In a large salad serving bowl, start by layering with the Spinach, top off with sliced Red Onion, crispy Bacon crumbles, chopped Dates and Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Drizzle with desired amount of Feta Cheese dressing and enjoy!
Use as much or as little of the actual Salad ingredients as needed. I usually eyeball my amounts accordingly to my Salad bowl.
Stacey is a Southern girl with a taste for travel, thriving on the discovery of the world through food. After spending many years traveling and living overseas, she’s now back home in her beloved deep south enjoying life with her three little ones and loving the adventure. She’s a food stylist and food photographer, as well as, the creative behind Little Figgy Food, where she loves to inspire others to try new flavors and foodie techniques.