This is one of those side dishes that becomes a meal to me, Asparagus Parmesan Fries.
Here’s the deal, asparagus are one of my favorite veggies. Here they are laced with Parmesan cheese and then baked until golden and truly perfected. Well, yah, that would make them pretty darn tasty.
I usually share, but this time I’m guilty of eating a pound of asparagus in a day. I think the appropriate word to describe these Asparagus Parmesan Fries, would be addictive. Every time I walked passed, they would diminish in numbers. Now the asparagus are no more to be had, which means it’s time to head to the grocery store!
Not only is this dish insanely tasty, but it’s also oh so healthy for you. For the Parmesan cheese, please oh please, don’t use that powdery cheese, you can either buy the block of cheese and coarsely grate it yourself (my preference) or you can find a good quality pre-grated cheese in the deli or refrigerated section.
Make more than one batch and try to share.
- 1 lb fresh Asparagus, woody stalks snapped off
- 1 1/2 cup plain Panko bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour (you can substitute any flour for this step)
- 2 Eggs, room temperature & beaten
- Lemon, optional
- Garlic Lemon Dip
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease baking sheet with cooking spray (I love the coconut oil spray) or use parchment paper to line baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Panko, Parmesan, Salt & Pepper together, place in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Trim the Asparagus by gently bending the woody end until it naturally snaps off, discard. Set aside.
- Set up your work area like an assembly line, with your trimmed Asparagus, a shallow bowl of the Flour, then the beaten Eggs and finally a shallow bowl of the Parmesan mixture and prepared baking sheet.
- Dredge the Asparagus in the flour, shaking off excess. The flour is to give it a little texture for the egg to stick to. Now coat the Asparagus with the Egg mixture and finally the Parmesan mixture, gently pressing the coating to encourage it to stick.
- Place breaded Asparagus on prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Make in batches if needed.
- Bake in the 425°F preheated oven in the middle of oven for about 10 - 12 minutes or until the the Parmesan coating is golden. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Optional:Squeeze fresh Lemon juice over the Asparagus Fries just before serving.Serve with this Garlic Lemon Dip, a variation from Sweet Potato Fries with Garlic Lime Dip.1 cup Mayonnaise½ cup Sour Cream1 - 2 Garlic Cloves, mincedZest and Juice of 1 LimePinch of SaltMix it all together until well incorporated and enjoy. Keep refrigerated for up to 1 week in an airtight container.