Okay, let’s give a Hip Hip HOORAY for these simple and tasty…
It all started when I was a young and Piggies in a Blanket were all the rage. They actually were not a favorite of mine unless you allowed me to slather mustard all over them, then you had me.
Many years went by when I started to do quite a bit of traveling, and then I ended up living in England and Ireland for many years. While there, the fast food snack of choice available everywhere, were the humble little Sausage Rolls.
At first I said “Nope”, and I refused to try them, I could only relate to the Piggies in a Blanket flashback and really had not great desire to go there again. Then it happened, I started craving those little rolls filled with sausages!
WHAT?!? No no no no….but oh yes, I wanted to try one AND I did! I know they are not exactly the food of the gods, but from that day on I have considered them to be on my comfort food list.
Now, I’ve had some not so tasty ones too, but I’ve some gorgeous Sausage Rolls that have kept me coming back for more. These little bad boys are some that not only are so stinkin’ easy to make but also rather tasty morsels that are perfect for a simple dinner or even as an after school snack ready and waiting to make your little ones smile.
Okay, so the key to making gorgeous tasting Sausage Rolls all lies in the quality and taste of the sausages you use. I change mine around depending on my mood…my absolute favorite are the chili spiked Italian sausages, but for the sake of my children I also make them with mild Italian sausages…but it’s only a matter of time before I will win them over 😉
Oh my I have to add a huge recommendation that I believe makes life in the kitchen that much easier, would be always, ALWAYS ….. always try to keep a package of frozen puff pastry sheets in the freezer. I have made so many yummy (last minute) recipes that are incredibly easy and quick to prepare because I had tucked away some frozen puff pastry.
Now if you’re stuck for something easy, tasty and a comfort food all at one time, give these little Sausage Rolls a try … they are also great fun for the kids to make with you. They’re Good stuff! Oh, go on. 🙂
- 6 Sausage links, (good quality, your flavor of choice)
- 1 frozen Puff Pastry Sheet, thawed
- 1 tsp dried Spice (i.e. oregano, fennel seeds crushed, marjoram, sage, etc.) - Optional
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 - 2 Tbls toasted Sesame Seeds - Optional
- Preheat Oven to 350F and grease baking sheet with cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold thawed Puff Pastry Sheet and roll out until you can line up 3 of the sausage links lengthwise.
- Cut Puff Pastry in half down the center lengthwise.
- On each half, line up the sausage links, 3 on each half.
- If using dried Spices, sprinkle over sausages.
- With beaten egg, brush the edges of each Puff Pastry sheet with the egg wash.
- Fold over the sheet lengthwise, so that you have one long Sausage Roll. Repeat with 2nd half.
- Brush remaining egg wash over the tops of both Sausage Rolls. Sprinkle with Toasted Sesame Seeds if desired.
- Cut each length into 6 mini rolls.
- Arrange on baking sheet and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until Pastry turns golden brown.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Serve hot or warm.
- Can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days. Warm in oven for 5 - 8 minutes at 350F, serve and enjoy. (Microwave will soften the pastry and not recommended for re-heating).
Stacey is a Southern girl with a taste for travel, thriving on the discovery of the world through food. After spending many years traveling and living overseas, she’s now back home in her beloved deep south enjoying life with her three little ones and loving the adventure. She’s a food stylist and food photographer, as well as, the creative behind Little Figgy Food, where she loves to inspire others to try new flavors and foodie techniques.