Palmiers, occasionally referred to as elephant ears, are one of the easiest appetizer you can make. It’s just crazy ridiculous how simple. From sweet to savory, you only need a few ingredients to turn that puff pastry into a posh munchie.
These savory Palmiers are bite size appetizers that are the perfect little addition for your next dinner party, and seriously compliment a cheeseboard beautifully.
I have found that some of the tastiest appetizers, are the ones that are really easy to make and have fewer ingredients. If you are having a dinner party, then it’s important not to overpower your appetizers with so much flavor that the main course comes up just so-so, but at the same time, you want your whole menu to shine and equally taste amazing. That’s what I love about a nice cheese board, it’s simple and full of great flavor, plus if you add these addictive savory Palmiers then you’ll have a stunning array of nibbly foods.
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry
- ¼ cup Grainy Dijon Mustard
- 1 - 1½ cups Asiago Cheese, grated (can use other mature hard cheese)
- On parchment paper, roll out the Puff Pastry to about a 16 x 12 rectangle. Cut the rectangle lengthwise in half.
- On each rectangle, spread the Mustard in a thin layer, then sprinkle Cheese evenly (it doesn't matter if it's to the edge of the puff pastry).
- On the long side, roll the filled Puff Pastry to the center, repeat with the other edge rolling to the center until they meet in the middle. Wrap in plastic wrap securely, and place in the freezer for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the Puff Pastries from the freezer and cut into ¾ inch slices, and place on baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for approximately 15 - 18 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- Best served warm or at room temperature and served same day as made.