It’s all about simplicity …
Balsamic Chicken and Sausage Bake!
I love love love … LOVE this dish! It’s so easy to prepare and the flavor is insanely delish. With little humans running around and distracting me, some days – make that most days, I just need a meal that’s going to straight forward and simple to prepare that I make it with my mental cruise control on. This is that dish.
It’s especially perfect on cold days when you can just cozy up to a plate of this Balsamic Chicken and Sausage Bake and enjoy.
You can make it with only chicken or only sausage if you prefer, but do try to use the best quality ingredients you can afford. I found this recipe years ago and had it written on a card with lots of tweaks scribbled all over and that’s about as much as I can recall where I originally came across it. I do know that it has been a reliable standby for years in our house and we all love it.
Don’t be shy of using a vat of the Balsamic for this recipe because that is what gives it such an incredible depth and almost a sweetness that brings it all together beautifully.
This is a great meal for the boys! In fact, the recipe doubles nicely and 9 times out of 10 I do. My family as a whole enjoy it and I never have leftovers, which is actually kind of sad because it taste even better the second day.
- 2 1/2 - 3 lbs Baking Potatoes, scrubbed and diced in to 1 in. pieces. (I like to use Yukon Gold)
- 1 lb Tomatoes, diced
- 1 (15.5 oz) can diced Tomatoes
- 12 Chicken Thighs, boneless and skin off, diced into 1 in. pieces (Look for the "Family" size pkg)
- 1 (14 oz) Turkey Smoked Sausage link, cut into 2 in. pieces (I use Hillshire Farms)
- Small bunch of fresh Oregano or 1 Tbls dried Oregano
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large saucepan, Add the diced Potatoes and cover with water, adding a good pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and boil until just cooked but not mushy.
- In a large frying pan, drizzle in some Olive Oil and over medium high heat, carefully add diced Chicken pieces and shallow fry until just brown on the outside and cooked through.
- Check Potatoes, and when cooked and able to poke with fork with ease (but not mushy), drain and allow to steam for a minute.
- In a large baking sheet, drizzle Olive Oil over bottom of pan, about 2 Tbls., add the diced Tomatoes and the can of Tomatoes. Add in the cooked Chicken and Potatoes. Drizzle another Tbls of Olive Oil and the Balsamic Vinegar, season with the Salt and Pepper and Oregano, give it a toss.
- Bake in preheated 400°F for about 45 minutes or until golden.
- If desired, add some fresh Oregano leaves, serve with a simple side salad.