What would the holidays be without Eggnog?!?
You have the obligatory cranberries, the Christmas lights and plenty of Hallmark movies playing in the background, so what’s left besides a nice cup of hot cocoa… oh wait, Eggnog! Yes, a nice chilled (or hot) cup of boozy Eggnog will surely do the trick!
I love the creamy, rich flavor of a nice glass full of Eggnog, a tradition and a favorite we enjoy in our home. Now, this recipe does include the addition of alcohol, but you are more than welcome to leave out the rum for an alcohol free kid-friendly version if you prefer. In our house the kiddos version is referred to as Christmas milk, love it!
- 3 cups Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 3 - 4 Cinnamon Sticks, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tsp Nutmeg, plus extra to garnish
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract or Paste
- 5 Eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 3/4 Rum or Bourbon
- In a saucepan over medium high heat add the Milk, Heavy Cream, Cinnamon Sticks, Nutmeg, and Vanilla and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, whisk together the Egg Yolks and Sugar together for several minutes until pale yellow and thick ribbons form when whisk or spoon is lifted form mixture.
- Remove the Cinnamon Sticks from the Milk mixture and add the Milk mixture slowly to the Egg mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Mix in the Rum or Bourbon and refrigerate at least 2 - 4 hours or overnight and up to 3 days.
- Serve it up as is with a garnish of freshly grated Nutmeg, or if you want to take it a step further, beat the Egg Whites in a stand mixer until soft peaks form and fold into the Eggnog until well combined, serve garnished with Nutmeg and Cinnamon Sticks.