Grilled Pizza Fun – Made to Order
This post has been sponsored Rubbermaid BRILLIANCE™. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Full on Summertime is happening here, and that means that there’s plenty of great food to be had. We are all about cooking anything and everything on the grill or in my favorite outdoor wood fire pizza oven. If you’ve never had pizza on a grill, well it’s time you tried it! The flavor from the grill or a wood fire pizza oven is insanely good.
To keep things running smoothly for your Grilled Pizza fun, I highly suggest that you get organized the day before. My favorite way to make sense of it all is to get all of the vegetables sliced and diced, the cheese shredded, pizza dough, and any other ingredients for the grilled pizza sorted and kept in food storage containers in the refrigerator overnight. Then all you need to concern yourself with on the day of your grilled pizza fun, is lighting up the grill and enjoying your guests.
I am now officially devoted to Rubbermaid Brilliance food storage containers! They are really that good. Take a moment to think of the ideal food storage container – one that is absolutely air-tight and 100% leak proof, it has to be stain and odor resistant, completely stackable, BPA free plastic (a must), and a lifetime guarantee (bonus). Well, guess what? I’ve perfectly described Rubbermaid Brilliance.
These space saving containers are amazing, and if you’re wondering if you can use them in the microwave, well yes, yes you can. To use in the microwave, just make sure that the latches are not locked. In the upward position when heating up, this allows the containers to let out steam through the vents. Once you’ve finished, simply place them in your dishwasher to clean them up. Simple, done.
I like to use my Rubbermaid Brilliance containers anytime we head outdoors to cook or enjoy a picnic, and they work so well for our grilled pizza fun, keeping all of the pizza ingredients fresh and pretty, ready for everyone to make up their pizza any way they want.
For more news and to keep up with Rubbermaid Brilliance, you can keep up them on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest and be inspired.
Let’s get this Grilled Pizza Fun started!
My Tips and Tricks For Entertaining and Cooking Outdoors:
- First and foremost, invite your guests!
- Pick your theme. Starry nights, “Dive In” Movie night by the pool, Pirate, 80’s or 90’s Music, Game Night, etc.
- Plan your menu and make a grocery list
- Get organized the day before you plan to have your cookout. Prep the ingredients, slice and dice all of the vegetables you’ll need, and shred cheese. Store all of the veggies and cheese in Rubbermaid Brilliance food storage containers in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Enlist help! This may seem simple, but can easily be overlooked or forgotten. Have your guests bring a topping they love, drinks, salads or dessert.
- Don’t forget the ice.
- Make sure you have enough paper plates, napkins, cups and cutlery
- Oh please, use proper BBQ Tools. Safety first!
- Using a gas grill? Check that gas tank.
- Before grilling, clean the hot grill grate, using a long handled wire brush.
- When grilling pizzas, it’s ideal if you can invest in a metal pizza peel, basically it’s a really large spatula made for pizzas.
- You can grill pizza straight on the grill grate or use a pizza stone that has been heated up either on the grill or in a 500°F oven.
- Be patient with the food, once your pizza is on the grill or in the pizza oven, don’t try to move it around. After a few minutes, it will naturally loosen and you can then adjust/move the pizza or food as necessary.
Need to get supplies? Personally, I like to do the one stop kind of shopping for everything. I find pretty much everything I need at Target, from paper plates and napkins to ingredients and BBQ supplies, not to mention, of course they have a great selection of Rubbermaid Brilliance containers. And don’t forget to have your Cartwheel app ready to use, I have saved a nice hunk of change with it and really enjoy finding extra deals on it that you can only get from using the app.
Use these Cartwheel offers to save on your purchase of Rubbermaid Brilliance when you shop at Target.
20% off Brilliance Sandwich & Snacks Set – August Week 1
15% off Brilliance 6pc Set – August Week 2
20% off Brilliance Large Container – August Week 3
15% off Brilliance OTG OS Salad – August Week 4
DIY Grilled Pizza
One of the best ways to enjoy dinner outdoors this summer, create a DIY Grilled Pizza bar, and enjoy each and every slice!
- Pizza Dough:
- 2 1/2 cups lukewarm Water (@110 degrees)
- 1 Tbsp Dry Active Yeast or two 1/4-oz packets
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin Olive Oil
- 7 cups good quality All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- Base Sauce Suggestions:
- Tomato or Pasta sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Topping Suggestions:
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Feta Cheese
- Brie Cheese
- Blue Cheese
- Pepperoni or a good Italian Salami
- Sliced Prosciutto
- Shredded Chicken
- Bacon or Sausage
- Bell Peppers, a variety of colors
- Chili Peppers
- Onions, Red or Yellow
- Roasted Garlic
- Sliced Pears
- Olives, Green, Kalamata or Black Olives
- Squash or Zucchini
- Basil Leaves
- Flat Leaf Italian Parsley
- Arugula Leaves
- Spinach or Kale
- Dried Oregano
- Olive Oil
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour and salt and set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, pour your water in, add the sugar and olive oil and sprinkle the yeast over the top. Give it a gentle stir and leave alone for about 5 minutes. A sign that the yeast is good is that it will cause a foam to start on top of the water.
- In the bowl of flour, make a well in the center and slowly pour in the yeast mixture. With a fork or spoon, start to bring it all together until well mixed.
- On a lightly floured surface, scrape your dough out and with floured hands start to knead dough until smooth and elastic. If you need to add more flour, only use a dusting of it, you don't want to change your dough's consistency by adding too much flour. Don't over work the dough. About 3 - 5 minutes of kneading is sufficient.
- Place the dough in a flour dusted large bowl, top with a damp kitchen towel and leave to rise for 30 minutes - 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- After the dough has doubled in size, scrape back out of bowl onto a floured surface and punch down the dough to get the air bubbles knocked out. Form a smooth ball and divide into 6 - 8 pizza crust bases for medium sized pizzas or up to 10 - 12 for individual sized pizzas. If you do not need all of the dough, you can use half of the recipe now, and then wrap each remaining pizza base in plastic wrap and freeze for later from this point.
- You can either use your hands to push and stretch out the dough to form your base or use a floured rolling pin to get an even pizza base.
- After your pizza dough is rolled out let it sit for a couple of minutes, it will spring back slightly.
- About 20 minutes prior to grilling, heat your grill or wood fire pizza oven.
- Now place your base on a foil lined baking sheet or pizza peel and add your favorite sauce and toppings. Using the foil will help when transferring the pizzas to the grill or pizza oven.
- If using a charcoal grill, adjust the coals so that you have an area for indirect heat. If using a wood fire pizza oven, push the burning wood to the back of the oven.
- Bake the pizzas on the grill or in the pizza oven for 5 - 10 minutes. Times will vary depending on how hot the grill or pizza oven is. Keep an eye on it and adjust time accordingly. Remove baked pizzas carefully, slice them up and serve.
Pizza Combination Suggestions:
Chicken and Asparagus Pizza
- Pesto Sauce
- Shredded Chicken
- Feta or Mozzarella Cheese
- Dice Red Onion
- Fresh Asparagus
- Flat Leaf Parsley, optional
BBQ Chicken Pizza
- BBQ Sauce
- Shredded Chicken
- Smoked Crispy Bacon
- Caramelized Onions
- Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- Roma Tomatoes
- Dried or Fresh Oregano
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Drizzle of Olive Oil
Spinach Artichoke Pizza
- Marinated Artichokes
- Roasted Garlic
- Fresh Baby Spinach Leaves
- Parmesan and Mozzarella Cheese
- Cracked Pepper
- Drizzle of Olive Oil
If you do not have the option of using a grill or wood fire pizza oven, you can get a similar effect by baking in your oven. Place your baking sheets or baking stone in the cold oven then turn your oven up to 500°F. Once the oven is ready, carefully remove baking sheets and quickly start to work on building your pizza directly on the hot baking sheets. Bake in oven for 10 - 12 minutes or until toppings start to melt and turn golden brown.
Need more inspiration? Check out these recipes: Smoked Ham Pear and Brie Pizza or Caramelized Onion with Brie Pizza.
Stacey is a Southern girl with a taste for travel, thriving on the discovery of the world through food. After spending many years traveling and living overseas, she’s now back home in her beloved deep south enjoying life with her three little ones and loving the adventure. She’s a food stylist and food photographer, as well as, the creative behind Little Figgy Food, where she loves to inspire others to try new flavors and foodie techniques.