Growing up in the deep south, lamb was rarely on our table, but when we had it, it was most definitely a treat. It wasn’t until I was in my late 20’s though that I realized, not only do I not know how to prepare a lamb dish, but also that I didn’t have enough lamb in my life.
Years later, I have revisited my love of lamb. The quality. The taste. American lamb is so tender and full of rich flavor, it’s gorgeous!
Not sure what to do with lamb? There are so many recipe options from Asian to Mediterranean to Latin, with plenty of choices depending on your palette preference. For me, I love Middle Eastern flavors and have incorporated them into this dish, Shredded Lamb Tacos with Orange Salsa then I topped them off with Greek yogurt and a generous amount of pomegranate seeds.
I slow cooked the boneless lamb shoulder in the crock pot until tender and then shredded it with a fork. You can either use flatbread or soft tortilla shells and generously fill them with the tender lamb. I enjoy topping it off with yogurt that has a bit of Harissa sauce swirled into it to give it some bite, and for the Orange Salsa, I was inspired by the Moroccan orange and carrot salad, which adds a bright flavor to the dish.
Since there are more than 82,000 family-owned sheep operations located in just about every U.S. state, you can find American lamb year round, no problem. To find out more information and find recipe inspiration visit American Lamb.
- 3 - 5 lbs. Boneless Lamb Shoulder
- 4 Tbls (1/2 stick) Butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt (or 1/2 tsp Smoked Sea Salt)
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 4 - 5 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Sweet Paprika
- 1 Tbls fresh Rosemary, chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbls fresh Thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 tsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp ground Coriander
- 1 dried Chipolte Pepper
- 2 medium Onions, quartered then sliced into thin wedges
- 1/2 cup Water
For the Toppings:
- Yogurt blended with 1 - 2 Tbls Harissa (Moroccan hot sauce)
- Orange Salsa to serve
- Pomegranate seeds to taste
- In a crock pot set to high.
- Mix together the softened Butter with all the spices from Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Paprika, Rosemary, Thyme, Cumin and Coriander. Blend until smooth.
- Rub the boneless Lamb shoulder with Butter blend and coat well.
- In the bottom of the crock pot, add the water and sliced onions then place the Butter coated Lamb on top. Cover with lid and cook on high for 4 - 6 hours or until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily with a fork.
- Once tender, remove meat form crock pot (reserving liquid) and place meat on chopping board and shred with a fork. Remove the onions from liquid and mix back into shredded lamb with a tablespoon or two of the liquid.
- Warm the flatbread or tortilla shells and add the shredded Lamb and onion mixture, Yogurt, Orange Salsa and Pomogranate Seeds.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Stacey is a Southern girl with a taste for travel, thriving on the discovery of the world through food. After spending many years traveling and living overseas, she’s now back home in her beloved deep south enjoying life with her three little ones and loving the adventure. She’s a food stylist and food photographer, as well as, the creative behind Little Figgy Food, where she loves to inspire others to try new flavors and foodie techniques.