Oh YES It Is!
Apple Butter … Slow Cooker Style!
Okay so follow me here…
Fall + Apples + Slow Cooker = Apple Butter
Oh yeah, that’s what I’m loving!
It’s so easy to make, buy your apples, chop chop chop away, put them in the slow cooker, add some spices…WAIT…mash it up a bit and voila = Apple Butter without having to hover near the kitchen.
I have made Apple Butter in the oven and it was good, but this recipe is so nummy on many levels.
Not only did I end up with something to fight over because it’s that good, but I also made my house smell amazingly AUTUMNAL! (oh YES, I just used that word).
I grew up in the Atlanta suburbia area and then in north Florida, so I’ve mostly been drenched in all things Southern. Imagine my surprise when I lived in Ireland and England and for the first time in an actual conversation I heard the word Autumnal used in a sentence with a straight face. I think I laughed out loud a bit … it’s a great word – Autumnal, it’s even a bit of fun trying to say it over about 10 times…really fast.
I loved living overseas, but I always had to find ways to curb my cravings for food that I could usually only find in the States or in the South particularly for that matter. Apple Butter was on that list! Along with Chick-Fil-A, Cornbread & Biscuits (not cookies), Frosty from Wendy’s and incredibly southern Sweet Iced Tea AND it was even worse during my pregnancies, lol!
I did manage to adapt a few ingredients for most of my cravings, including Apple Butter … but there is nothing like being able to enjoy a cozy favorite food in the pleasure of my southern comfort surroundings that I call home. Yes, I’m southern to the core 🙂
And to add to my “Southerness”, I will be sharing a recipe for Basic Southern Biscuits soon, so check back and see what’s happening!
So when I moved back to the states, one thing I made sure of was that my BFF and her mom, shared their recipes with me because the are completely all about southern taste and flavor – this one is no exception.
I give my accolades of praise to Mama Judy for sharing this Apple Butter recipe and I must say, MWAH!
It’s amazing stuff!
- 12 - 15 Apples, I used Braeburns, with a few Golden Delicious, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 Tbls Cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg, ground
- 2 cups granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Sorghum Syrup, (I used Molasses)
- Peel and and roughly chop apples.
- Place in slow cooker/crock pot. (Mine was half full)
- Add Sugar, Syrup (or Molasses), Cinnamon and Nutmeg and stir to coat apples well.
- Turn your slow cooker settings to High for 1 hour, then turn down to Low for an additional 23 hours if your slow cooker is FULL. If you slow cooker is only Half Full like mine, an additional 9 hours should be sufficient.
- Check apples periodically to see if they are soft and give it a stir.
- If the mixture has too much liquid, set the lid askew to allow steam to escape.
- Once Apples have turned a dark amber color and are almost a thick sauce consistency, carefully put the Apple Butter into a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Place in sterilized jars and store in the refrigerator, or if you are familiar with preserving jams, you can preserve your Apple Butter in a hot water bath.
- Makes about 4 cups
Stacey is a Southern girl with a taste for travel, thriving on the discovery of the world through food. After spending many years traveling and living overseas, she’s now back home in her beloved deep south enjoying life with her three little ones and loving the adventure. She’s a food stylist and food photographer, as well as, the creative behind Little Figgy Food, where she loves to inspire others to try new flavors and foodie techniques.