This Apple Pie Filling Recipe post is sponsored by Ball® Mason Jars. All opinions are my own.
Perfect any time of year, just know this Apple Pie Filling recipe needs to be made!
During these cooler months, making a comforting pie is indeed a treat well deserved that everyone will enjoy. Apple pie is simply a classic, and prepping filling ahead of time can not only be a time saver but also ideal for giving away as a gift from your kitchen.
When making your gorgeous apple pies, you can either make your own favorite recipe for pie pastry or you can use a good quality store bought pie pastry. Either way, this apple pie filling recipe will be delicious.
I like to make double batches of this apple pie filling to ensure that I have enough on hand for when I feel the urge to make a cozy apple pie to share with family or friends.
What You’ll Need To Make This Apple Pie Filling Recipe:
- Ball Pint Jars, I love the Ball Sharing Jars for gift-giving
- A couple of spices
- Ground Cloves
- Apple juice
- Lemon juice
How to Make Apple Pie Filling:
- Sterilize Ball Pint Jars, sterilize jars, lids, and rings as well before use.
- Prepare the ingredients, prepare your mise en place, measuring out ingredients, and slicing the apples.
- Keep the sliced apples from browning by placing them in a bowl of water with a bit of lemon juice, or use Ball® Fruit-Fresh® Produce Protector.
- Blanch apple slices in batches.
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and Sure Jel together followed by the apple juice, and combine well until ready to use.
- Ladle the apples into the hot sterilized jars, and seal.
Other tasty recipes to try:
- Find out how to make Meringue Cookies, so much yum.
- Learn how to make your own Maraschino Cherries, the perfect addition to any dessert or cocktail.
- Everything Cookies, completely decadent and delicious!
- Old Fashioned Apple Cobbler, yes, so good!
After making this cozy apple pie filling recipe, you should also try making some great jams, such as my favorite Peach and Almond Jam or this tasty Fig and Red Wine Jam recipe! You can find more great recipe ideas at Ball Mason Jar’s FreshPreserving.com. For tested recipes and inspiration don’t forget to follow them on Facebook here, Instagram, and their must-follow Pinterest boards here.
How to make Apple Pie Filling:
- 12 cups sliced, peeled, and cored apples*
- 2-3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup ClearJel® cooking starch
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1-1/4 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with bands.
- Blanch apple slices, working with 6 cups at a time, in a large pot of boiling water for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm in a covered bowl.
- Combine sugar, ClearJel®, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large stainless steel saucepan. Stir in apple juice and cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, and cook until the mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Add lemon juice, boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Drain apple slices and immediately fold into hot mixture; heat, stirring, until apples are heated through.
- Ladle hot apple pie filling into hot jars leaving 1-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars for 25 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove the lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when the center is pressed.
*To treat apple slices to prevent browning, apply Ball® Fruit-Fresh® Produce Protector according to the manufacturer's instructions or submerge cut apples in a mixture of 1/4 cup lemon juice and 4 cups water.
Recipe by Ball Fresh Preserving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 7 pints Serving Size: 1 pint
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 1468Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 18mgCarbohydrates: 380gFiber: 5gSugar: 370gProtein: 1g
How to Cozy Up Your Table in 5 minutes:
To enjoy a simple and cozy table, buffet table, or bar cart, simply add a few Ball Mason Jars such as these amber jars, fill them with tealights, seasonal foliage or flowers, and voila you’ve created a cozy mood in no time at all. You can use any of your favorite Ball Mason Jars, clear, amber, or aqua, to change up the mood and season, and the best part is, it only takes about 5 minutes to do. Nice.
Stacey is a Southern girl with a taste for travel, thriving on the discovery of the world through food. After spending many years traveling and living overseas, she’s now back home in her beloved deep south enjoying life with her three little ones and loving the adventure. She’s a food stylist and food photographer, as well as, the creative behind Little Figgy Food, where she loves to inspire others to try new flavors and foodie techniques.